The Theatre

Thanks for reading everyone.

You can buy this book SKINNY DIPPING and the sequel SKINNY CAPPUCCINO on Amazon.

Chapter 18

Sophie stood on the steps outside the theatre waiting for the group to arrive. She hated being the first person at an event, so she felt relieved when she noticed Mickey walking towards the theatre. She looked tall and confident, walking close to an extremely drop dead gorgeous man who must be none other than the mysterious date.

Mickey talked and laughed animatedly. She wore high heels and a designer dress. This was a stark change from her work flats and trousers. Her red hair hung softly around her shoulders. Her face was slightly flushed as she gazed up at the man. He slung an arm around her shoulders, and Mickey gazed adoringly at him.

Sophie caught up with them. "Hey guys," she said, feeling awkward, like she was interrupting an intimate moment.

"My God, I didn't recognise you!" Mickey enthused, stepping back to study Sophie, her expression curious. "You look totally wow. I love this look."

"Same to you," Sophie said, scanning Mickey's dress which showed off her friend's excellent figure.

"This is Clive Banks, my business partner."

"It's great seeing you again." Then, realising the time, she wondered where Matthew was, as the theatre was becoming busier by the minute. "You go on inside. I'm going to wait here for Matthew."

Mickey and Clive went inside. Sophie hovered to one side of the doorway, watching people stroll through the crowd as she searched for Matthew. As she waited, she continued to brush down the fabric of her fairy floss dress.

Then she saw him, and was about to call his name when the lady selling 'Swan Lake' programmes propelled a booklet into his face. Forgetting the price, the sales girl became tongue-tied when faced with him. He was undeniably handsome, as he flashed a grin.

Sophie threw her hand above her head, waving frantically, realising her voice was caught in her throat. Did she like him? Did she want this to be a date? She suddenly felt nervous.

She finally caught his attention and his face lit up. He rushed forward to meet her as she raced down the staircase, hoping she wouldn't fall flat in front of him.

Matthew reached her, leaned in and kissed her on the cheek. "Sorry if I've kept you waiting." He ran his hand through his blond hair. "You look fantastic. I almost didn't recognise your new look. Stunning." Her skin tingled from where he'd rested his lips. She touched her cheek, which still burnt.

"You look great too." He'd always looked dashing in suits, since the first time she'd seen him outside the hotel for the gala night. "I already have a programme."

"Great," he said, smiling in admiration.

She extracted an item from her bag. "This is for you. I wanted to give it to you now, not in front of the others." She felt the tips of her ears going pink as she placed a small package in his hands.

"What is it?" He asked and cocked his head to the side.

"It's a Christmas gift and a thank you, all bunched into one." She didn't dare look at his face, feeling completely embarrassed.

"Really?"

"I just wanted to thank you for the swimming lessons and everything. But you're not to open it until Christmas."

"Is that right?" He was curious.

"Yup, so you can put it in your pocket."

He turned the package over in his hands, and slipped it into his lapel pocket. "You're so mysterious. Thank you. Thank you very much." He gazed at her and an odd expression crossed his face.