Dinner

Thanks for reading everyone.

You can buy this book SKINNY DIPPING and the sequel SKINNY CAPPUCCINO on Amazon.

Chapter 23

"I saw the edited version of the pool shoot." Matthew stood in the Clarks reception and his hands were thrust deep in his pockets. He'd come to the office unannounced and insisted upon seeing her.

"We've only got the Brighton shoot to go," Sophie answered. She noticed the effort he'd made, wearing a navy suit, and even a loose tie. By the way he pulled at his neck, he hated wearing the garment. The tie reminded her of the very first time she'd seen him jump out of his Porsche and she couldn't help but smile.

Encouraged, Matthew smiled back. "The Brighton shoot is scheduled for next week, isn't it?" he confirmed.

"All booked," she nodded. "We've got the permits and everyone's ready to go. Did Jessica not tell you all this? She said she was calling you to discuss the wrap party."

"Yes, she did. But it's seemed rather difficult to actually speak to you lately. I thought I would come in myself."

"Fair enough," she said running her hands through her hair. She felt flustered, pretending she didn't know what he was talking about. Yes, she'd had Jessica take on quite a lot of the communication about the Silver account, but not all of it. "Of course you can still talk to me, I'm your consultant."

"Great." He looked at her square in the eye. "I wanted to apologise for the other day."

"What for?"

"For saying you were all salesy and only wanted to know me to get more work."

"You know it's not true then. Well of course I'd love more work, but I thought we were friends too and I wouldn't jeopardise that."

"I was beginning to think it was all in my head."

They both stood awkwardly in silence. "Well if everything's okay. I'd better get back to it."

"I also wanted to thank you."

Sophie folded her arms. "What for?" She tapped her foot and wondered where he was going with this.

"For all your hard work."

"That's very kind of you."

"Maybe you and I, we could somehow celebrate?"

"Didn't Jessica tell you?" Sophie knitted her eyebrows in concern. The wrap party was for the client and Matthew was the pivotal person to be invited. "The team's organising a fabulous wrap party for when all the work is finished. Can you come? Did you get an invitation because the party's for you, and can't really go on without you?"

"Yes, of course Jessica's told me about everything. I'm going. She seems very keen to do the right thing," he said quickly. Matthew's mouth opened and then closed as he struggled to find the right words. "But I wanted to thank you, as my consultant, personally. What would you say?"

"I'd say, you're welcome," Sophie responded, a bit too quickly.

Matthew roared with laughter. "Come to dinner with me tonight."

"I'm in the office until very, very late...," she stammered. "I'm quite busy you know. A workaholic." Although that wasn't quite true, not over the last few weeks.

"I see. So you'll be working late tonight? I'd better let you get back to it."

"Yes, I better go."