The Recession

Thanks for reading everyone.

You can buy this book SKINNY DIPPING and the sequel SKINNY CAPPUCCINO on Amazon.

Chapter 5

A weekend of heavy drinking ended. Monday rolled into Tuesday, then Wednesday. Each day Sophie felt light-headed from lack of sleep. Dreams of Derek continued, but there was one significant change, a humiliating reminder. In her dreams Derek was accompanied by the gorgeous Georgina.

Each morning a fresh surge of hope fuelled her. Her daily arrival at work would involve Sophie bolting through the office corridor with the red splattering motifs (Sophie thought they looked like psychiatrist's ink blots) and past the kitchen. Her desk was near the 'think tank' of ideas: a whiteboard covered with coloured flash cards. She collapsed in her chair and opened her email. All week, there had been nothing from Derek.

This morning, again, her inbox was empty.

She was still expecting to have Georgina explained so that it all made sense. Maybe he'd just met her and hadn't actually cheated....

Today, it was hump day, Wednesday, and Jessica was the next to arrive in the office. She was a capable woman, not only was she Bradley Clark's personal assistant, but had stepped up as the group secretary for no extra pay, being in the midst of a recession and all. Jessica was in her mid-twenties, and had recently started studying full time at London Metropolitan University. Although she was now a mature student, she was sharp as a knife, with intelligent, warm, brown eyes.

Jessica's enthusiasm reminded Sophie of herself when she had started at Clarks. She often assaulted Sophie with technical questions, asking for loads of help with her assignments to complete her degree. Usually Sophie didn't mind.

Today the student in Jessica was satisfied. Instead she was eager to impress and she started her own pitch.

"I'm an advertising student and I could help you out."

Sophie nodded. "I have a client meeting in about an hour which I've got to prepare for. But after that, I promise to consider it." She'd heard Jessica's words before.

"I can help you free up time," Jessica reiterated.

Jessica desperately wanted experience on campaigns. But Sophie would have to teach her, and time was important. Sophie was having a tough enough job holding onto her own career. "And Sophie you need my help so you can find some work-life balance. You need to find some time for that man of yours."

"I'm single now."

"Oh, sorry," Jessica said and hurried back to her desk. Jessica was the group secretary and her desk sat outside Bradley's doorway, with a view of the rest of the office. She began making personal phone calls and babbled like she usually did, which would continue throughout the day. Even over the sound of the whirring printer, Sophie could hear Jessica chatting idly. "Francine, you'll never guess what she wore to the wedding...." Jessica was anything but discreet, her voice loud and strident.

A mailman arrived and stood at Jessica's desk, stacking packages like Santa Claus would under a tree. Jessica signed for the special deliveries and team post. She then flicked through the parcels, shaking envelopes and packages for simple amusement. Jessica swept her gaze over Sophie, in slow motion, shaking a large, rectangular-shaped box.

Bradley's door burst open.

Jessica dropped the receiver in her hand and catapulted from her chair, a stack of papers in her arms as the rest of the office snapped into life with dramatic energy like actors performing on stage. Everyone was all too aware of Bradley and his dominating presence.