Over Advertising

Thank you for reading. 

Skinny Dipping is available on Amazon.

The companion novel Skinny Cappuccino is also available via Amazon stores.

Chapter 24 Continued

Sophie called in sick for the next three days. "But what's wrong with you?" Jessica brayed over the phone line. "Do you know how many times Matthew Silver has called you? He's refusing to talk to anyone else."

"Tell him I'm anywhere but there. I'm at the hospital, in accident and emergency. Tell him that." She coughed into the phone. They couldn't prove anything. For all they knew she'd had a car accident or broken her arm. Accident and emergency was the place to go when something got too serious for a doctor. Besides, no one could prove she wasn't in the hospital suffering from something dreadful. She supposed she was suffering from something, humiliation.

"The Silver account, the 'Skinny Dipping' campaign, is finished. Desmond edited and finalised the commercial and Bradley took the final product over to Matthew Silver. That's your job. What's going on, Sophie...?"

"I've already told you. I'm sick."

"Matthew loved it. He even spoke to Bradley about how excellent you were and how he's giving you, and only you, the ad work for the entire Silver Family Leisure Group! Bradley almost fainted when he told us."

"Great," Sophie said with little enthusiasm. Was that the only reason Matthew was calling her?

"Just great? That's brilliant! Are you okay, Sophie? Clarks is saved."

"Who cares?" Sophie had been made redundant. Bradley had fired her. He'd also fired Kelly and let them both go after the meal at The Dorchester.

"You clearly must be ill, clearly at accident and emergency. The hospital atmosphere must have tamed you, because you should be jumping out of your bloody chair with happiness," Jessica said in a very quiet voice. "Well, to continue, the wrap party is all scheduled for tonight. Are you sure you don't want to review any of the plans?"

"Where is it?"

"The Embankment, on a boat, just like we discussed." Jessica paused. "You're okay with boats. It's just swimming and the trauma, right?"

"I'm good with swimming. I did a deep water jump the other day. I can handle the water."

"I know you're sick, but do you think you can still make it? I mean, Bradley would flip if you didn't come; getting the rest of the Silver's business, you're expected to schmooze."

"I don't think Bradley cares too much about me. It's a shame, but I might be too sick to go."

"I thought hospitals didn't have mobile phone reception." There was a long pause. "You know it's strange. Kelly's sick, too."

"Must be going around the office."

"You've both been sick for three days. The same three days. Isn't that interesting?"

"Very interesting."

"But I just spoke to Kelly, and she's turning up to the wrap party."

"Oh really? Why? Matthew's not her client." Sophie suddenly felt a sense of proprietary. Matthew Silver was her client, and so was the new business. And if she had even a sliver of a chance of getting her job back, then she'd have to talk to Bradley about it.