The Wrap Party

Skinny Dipping is available on Amazon.

The companion novel Skinny Cappuccino is also available via Amazon stores.

Chapter 25

"I was so worried you weren't going to come," Jessica said when Sophie and Carol arrived at the party. "You look absolutely fabulous, considering you've been sick for the last three days," Jessica mused.

Sophie shot Jessica a steely look. "Makeup works wonders. You remember Carol, don't you?" Sophie pushed Carol forward, closer to Jessica.

"Oh yes," Jessica said. "I was at the filming with Carol. Everyone was so great down in Brighton," Jessica gushed. A man hovered behind Jessica. "Oh, Sophie, I want you to meet someone," Jessica said, suddenly shy. She stepped back, revealing the tall, dark, and incredibly handsome man. "This is John, my fiancé."

"Pleased to meet you, John," Sophie said, and shook his hand firmly.

"I've heard all about you, Sophie. I hear you're very talented and have really been great about showing Jessica the ropes. She's so thankful."

Sophie beamed. "Jessica's a natural."

"Yes, and she's passed all her exams."

"Shhh..." Jessica hissed. "This isn't my night."

"Congratulations, Jess!" Sophie gushed, taking her into a hug. "You should have said something. This is a team party and should include everyone's success, right?"

"You're so sweet, Soph, but it's a wrap party—your big project," Jessica said.

Then out of the corner of her eye Sophie saw Matthew, in a tuxedo, looking incredibly handsome. Kelly was hanging off his sleeve, holding a glass of champagne.

"Did you hear we got Barney's Chocolate Bars?" Sophie commented, watching Kelly pull Matthew away.

"Yes, I did. I told you that," Jessica said. "Are you sure you're feeling okay?"

Sophie nodded, but Matthew was flirting with Kelly. Suddenly she felt physically, painfully sick. "I got made redundant."

"No! You didn't! Did you really, Soph? You couldn't have, because you've brought in the Silver Chain, the whole lot, not just the hotels."

Sophie shrugged. "It doesn't matter anymore, does it? That's why Bradley took me to The Dorchester, to give me the boot."

"Oh, Soph, I'm sure he'll change his mind," Jessica said with concern on her face. "We all know how he growls every once in a while. He's temperamental."

"I'm going to get a drink." Sophie excused herself. She couldn't talk about being made redundant, thinking this was her last wrap party. She loved the job so much. What was she going to do for work? "I'll catch you both in a bit."

Getting a drink from the bar, she decided to look round the boat. She walked to the back and past Desmond and Bradley. Bradley waved in her direction, but she turned in the opposite direction. Why on earth would she want to talk to Bradley? He'd fired her and rehired Kelly. Bastard. Slimy, untrustworthy bastard.

She sighed. She might actually have to be nice to Bradley, hold her tongue for a moment if she was going to get her job back. It was a recession. Look how long it had taken her dad to get a job. She might have to swallow her pride. But something inside Sophie made her not want to take the job even if he gave it back to her. Sophie tossed back her drink, forcing the alcohol down. If she could find a bit of false confidence, then she'd be all right.