Backstage

Thanks for reading everyone.

You can buy this book SKINNY DIPPING and the sequel SKINNY CAPPUCCINO on Amazon.

Chapter 17

Sophie eventually arrived at Clarks and work was chaotic. Sophie fought fires throughout the day, negotiating contracts with agents. The price for their chosen actress to perform in the skinny dipping commercial was a particular point that she'd tried to get people to agree on the whole day. To think England was in a recession, yet the actress had the audacity to question the amount of money Sophie offered for the job.

"Take it or leave it," Sophie trilled down the phone to the agent. "This is a national commercial. She could become a national star."

There was a pause down the line and Sophie looked at her watch. "Look, if she doesn't like the pay then I'll have to find someone else. We're in a recession and that's the budget. Take the offer to your client and call me tomorrow with your answer. There is no wriggle room. I repeat, no wriggle room." Sophie hung up feeling slightly tense about the conversation.

Trying to forget it, Sophie rushed to the office toilet cubicles and changed into the fairy floss dress. She checked her appearance in the mirror. A stranger looked back at her. Her eyes widened as she stared.

She raked a hand through the short blonde bob, fingers stopping at the ends where the length of her long brown hair used to continue. She lowered her lashes, the eyelids painted with pastel pink eye shadow. Her heart fluttered, possibly with nerves; she felt different. A good different.

Finally leaving the office, Sophie bought a bunch of flowers and walked to the theatre, and grabbed a programme. Feeling nervous and excited, she arrived at the stage door, and pounded. She held the flowers on her hip. She'd bought lilies, carnations and roses.

Sophie pounded the stage door again. The rose scent mingled with the garbage she was standing beside. Casting a quick look at the dustbin, Sophie decided that backstage in London's West End was not as glamorous as she'd imagined. The backstage entrance was away from the bustling crowds, located on a tiny cobbled street in Piccadilly Circus.

"Hello, anyone there?" The door burst open. "Thank you!" Her jaw dropped and she blinked, struggling to blank her expression as she looked at the man standing in front of her. He was pale like an albino giant dressed in black. He loomed in the doorway and his mass of muscles spread across the entry. The figure hugging fairy floss dress, made Sophie feel tiny in comparison.

She purposefully closed her jaw, trying to seem unaffected by his astonishing size. "I'm here to see Carol."

He folded his arms, muscles bulging in his skin-tight, black t-shirt. "No chance." This was not the kind of man she would want to meet in a narrow alleyway, which, she realised, she was currently doing.

"But have you asked her?" she said in a strong voice.

The man scratched his bald head and shrugged. "You're too late, I'm afraid." He turned, closing the door.

"Wait." Sophie lodged her foot between the door and the frame. "I won't stay long." She manoeuvred her head, looking through the curtains, past the bulk of the security guard. Black sheets hung from the ceiling and dancers ran past.

He looked at his watch. Sophie took advantage of his distraction. She plunged her body forward, through the narrow gap between the door and his brick body. But not only was he big, he was also quick. She hadn't expected the albino to be quick. She felt her body bounce back from his as he blocked her. She groaned as the wind was taken from her.