The Aquatic Centre

Thanks for reading everyone.

You can buy this book SKINNY DIPPING and the sequel SKINNY CAPPUCCINO on Amazon.

Chapter 3

Waking up exhausted but suddenly hopeful, Sophie instantly checked her messages, feeling slightly pathetic as she scrutinised her mobile. Her heart ached. There was still nothing from Derek.

There was, however, a text from her dad. "Please call me." Much to Sophie's envy, her dad would be blissfully asleep; it was too early to buzz him back.

There were no missed calls or texts from Matthew Silver.

Stifling thoughts of Derek, she focused on Matthew Silver's absence from the gala. She couldn't fathom his last minute acceptance and then his no show.

As she rolled out of bed, Sophie wondered how to express her annoyance in a satisfying and professional manner. The hour was too early for her to rush to Clarks and arrange a meeting, and emails were often misconstrued.

An idea germinated. It was primetime for sporty types to take a dip in the pool. Sophie's new home was situated in Highbury, a stone's throw from Highbury Fields, which was strolling distance to Matthew's swimming centre.

It was highly likely that Matthew, owner of a swimming chain, would be the type to swim laps before work. Besides, it wasn't as if he would be curled up in bed, hungover after too many drinks at the gala.

It was an excellent idea. This morning they would meet, and she would finally put a face to the name Matthew Silver.

***

Sophie marched to the Highbury Aquatic Centre. However, when she arrived she froze as she realised what she was doing. Entering a swimming centre was an inconceivable idea for Sophie. She blamed this ludicrous decision on lack of sleep and breakup stress. Damn Derek.

Her insides were turning over. Her stomach churned. Sophie detested swimming pools or any body of water larger than a hot tub. Despite this somehow she'd convinced herself to visit the swimming centre. That was stupid.

Inhaling and clasping her handbag as she gazed at the rectangular timber and glass building, she reminded herself why she was in the very place she wanted to bolt from. She had come to the Highbury Aquatic Centre for the sole purpose of meeting Matthew Silver. He might not even be there, but since she'd turned up, she'd endeavour to introduce herself. There was absolutely no requirement to make acquaintance and pump his palm while standing next to the pool. She could keep her distance from the water.

Taking a deep breath, Sophie strode inside. Scanning the room she noticed a girl manning the reception counter, poring over a notebook. She placed the girl in her mid-twenties. She was a looker. The girl must be Eve, the girl helping Matthew until he found an appropriate personal assistant. Eve was often the recipient of Sophie's persistent calls. Now she'd arrived at his work, uninvited, like some type of interloper.

"Hi there," Sophie volunteered. "I'm here to see Matthew Silver."

The girl glanced up from where she was leaning over the reception bench. "Really?" She frowned and studied the clock hanging on the wall behind her. "Matthew isn't scheduled to show for another thirty minutes. What's your name?"

"Sophie. Sophie Smart."

The girl's eyebrows flew to the top of her head. "Hello," the girl said, recognition in her voice, although they had never physically met. "I'm Eve."