Beans Cafe

Thanks for reading everyone.

You can buy this book SKINNY DIPPING and the sequel SKINNY CAPPUCCINO on Amazon.

Chapter 12

Mickey's face was a picture of surprise when Sophie and Roger arrived at Beans. The café was already heaving, with customers queuing outside, while Mickey rushed round the counter preparing orders. The café was famous for Mickey's skinny cappuccino.

The café was efficiently run, orders whipped through at flying speed. The décor was trendy, with wooden tables. Large armchairs circled a fireplace in the corner which currently burned wood; warmth flowed round the café. The chairs were soft enough to sink into, but Mickey had found the perfect balance, ensuring they weren't too comfortable for customers to fall asleep in. There was also a courtyard with a small garden at the back of the café, which was used mostly in the summer, or for smokers.

Mickey brewed their drinks and left her post to join Sophie and Roger. She charmed Roger, even commented on how well he looked and asked him polite questions.

Roger felt overwhelmed by the attention from Mickey and even explained his redundancy situation. This was quite a development, admitting he'd lost his job.

Although, behind Mickey's cool, green eyed gaze and her polite questions, there were hundreds of questions she hadn't asked. Mickey scanned Sophie's dishevelled appearance and her outfit, and raised her eyebrows when she noticed Sophie's mismatched shoes. She discreetly offered her own makeup case.

Roger eventually excused himself to go to the toilet.

"Hung over at all?" Mickey asked.

"No. But I'm in a mess. Matthew's in my bed and –"

"Matthew, the guy on the phone, he's in your bed?" Mickey gasped and her mouth dropped. "Don't worry, I've spoken to Derek and it's all sorted for Saturday. No wonder you wanted to call Derek last night. It's all making sense with Matthew in the picture."

Sophie felt a sinking sensation, like a stone falling to the pit of her stomach. "So you've already been in touch with Derek?"

Mickey nodded. "You're to collect your belongings while Derek plays football. That way you won't have to talk to him or see him, unless you want to, of course. Derek didn't seem to think you'd want to."

Sophie twisted her hands. "Whatever, I don't mind." She wasn't sure how she felt about completely avoiding Derek. She still had unresolved questions.

Mickey eyed her curiously. "You do mind. You do want to see him. Oh Soph, what can I do?" She slung an arm around Sophie's shoulders and squeezed. "I'm so sorry. If I'd known you'd wanted to chat to him I'd have made different plans. But at two in the morning, I gathered there was some urgency...I can call Derek up and change things."

Sophie waved her hand. "It doesn't matter. I mean what more can he say? He cheated."

Mickey bit down on her lip. "Soph, not only did Derek cheat, but he still hasn't bothered to call you, not even once since you left."

Sophie tried to smile brightly, her lips trembling as she tried to force them into position. "Well onwards and upwards. I'd better not get too emotional about it as I'm off to work this morning."

"There's also Matthew in your bed. So it is indeed onward and upward. You go girl!"

Sophie shook her head. "It's not what you think. I don't have time to explain."