The Party

Thanks for reading everyone.

You can buy this book SKINNY DIPPING and the sequel SKINNY CAPPUCCINO on Amazon.

Chapter 20 Continued

By the time they got to the party, it was in full swing, with a DJ playing music. There were about one hundred people, all with drinks in their hands. Carol and Mickey practically fled to find a waiter, leaving Sophie alone. She wondered how she would find Matthew amongst the crowd.

Working her way through, she eventually found him – surrounded by women, of course. They seemed dazzled by him, with their heads tilted toward him. He wore casual black jeans, and an expensive-looking, crisp, white shirt.

Sophie's knees wobbled like jelly as she approached, and she wondered whether Carol or Mickey might be right, and if she would see him with no clothes on.

He caught her eye, and shot her a lazy, sexy smile. He excused himself and broke from his conversation to approach her. Almost echoing her thoughts, he spoke. "It's good to see you." He offered her a glass to drink, the tips of his fingers somehow innocently brushing hers.

"Yes," she smiled. "You look great." She was acutely aware of her body responding to him, her neck arching up toward his tall frame, all her attention on him.

He shrugged. "And you look beautiful, as always." His tone was very casual, but closely followed by a devilish grin.

"The party's in full swing. And it's still quite early in the evening," she said, pushing a hand through her hair. There was a group of people sucking jelly shooters. "Everyone arrived yet?"

"Not quite, we're expecting another hundred people."

"Awesome place, awesome party. Oh, there's Eve." Sophie recognised Eve from the swimming centre and waved her over.

"Yes, Eve's here," Matthew sighed. "Talk to everyone, or do whatever you want to. But I'm hoping you won't talk to anyone else for too long. I would like to spend some time just with you, later on if it's possible?" He gave her a confident stare and then took his leave as Eve approached.

It wasn't as easy a task as he might have requested; as the volume of people increased, it was almost impossible to talk to Matthew. Everyone at the party wanted a second of his time.

At eleven thirty, Matthew made an announcement. The fireworks would be soon and anyone brave enough should go outside onto the terrace, because there would be a stunning view.

The party became chaotic as guests searched for coats and hoarded outside onto the terrace. In true English style, a crowd huddled to wait for the countdown.

Sophie shivered at the thought. "Want to join me outside?" Matthew asked, suddenly at her side.

"I have to get a wrap or a coat, or my cardigan. Otherwise, I'll freeze."

"Do you want my coat?"

"No, I'll only be one minute. I'll just run upstairs."

"Do you want me to come upstairs?" Matthew asked, flashing a dangerous smile. "I could keep you company?" The words were loaded with meaning. His expression gave her a distinct feeling that if he came upstairs, the equilibrium between them would certainly change.

She nodded.

He escorted her in silence, toward the lift. They entered, and she realised they rode alone together. She found safety, standing on the other side, keeping a distance from him.