Ch•11- Lost in the Flashing Lights

"Please don't kill me" I begged, digging my fingernails against the seats arm rests

   "Please don't kill me" I begged, digging my fingernails against the seats arm rests. Cars whipped past us as we Fast and Furious'ed our way down the highway to the Disney Concert Hall. Dad had one hand on the wheel, and the other on a glass of wine. Isn't that against the law or something? We haven't exactly learned about Drinking and Driving yet in school.

    "Don't worry, we're almost there" Dad smiled, checking the rear view mirror "Don't throw up in my car"

    "I'll try not to" I sat up in my seat, looking over the dashboard. Lights danced around in the sky across the street. This must be it. About a 100 cars lined the street and parking lot. Lucky for us, Dad is a VIP and the freaking OWNER of the whole thing, so we got in easily. He parked the car in front of a long row of steps filled with reporters, celebrities, and business people. I suddenly felt out of place, I'd be the only kid in the sea of adults. Can I go home now? Dad climbed out of the car, I followed up behind him. He tossed the keys to a driver in a fancy suit. I held my hand out to protect my eyes from the flashes of the cameras. When we walked across the carpet towards that stairs, dozens of girls squealed Dads name. Girls with very revealing clothes if I may add.

    "Hi Tony's daughter" a couple people called. I gave an awkward wave as cameras flashed in my face.

    "Hey, Tony, remember me?" A blonde women asked from the crowd. She seemed as if she was trying way too hard to be sexy for him. I mentally gagged. This maybe isn't the kind of party I should attend.

   "Sure don't..." Dad replied, buttoning up his black suit blazer "You look great, Hef" He patted the shoulder of an older fellow who stood among some younger women. The man removed his pipe to see who touched him but we were already down the carpet. I looked back to catch his eye, but he had returned back to his younger girls.

    After a couple feet of paparazzi, I could see Obadiah standing in front of some reporters. He was giving an interview to the reporters who held microphones up close to his face.

    "What's the world coming to when a guy's got to crash his own party?" Tony interrupted, putting his arm on Obadiah's shoulder. I stood awkwardly behind them as they talked. I looked around the area. People streamed up the stairs to the concert hall. Men in rich suit and ties, women in way too tight dresses. Not a single 9 year old in sight, it was just me.

   "Let's go kid" Dad called to me as he started walking up the stairs to the main building. I hurried after him, getting push by some adults during the process "Smile a little, would ya?" He hissed over his shoulder. I look towards the cameramen that were calling to me. They waved their hands in the air for my attention. I shot my brightest smile in their direction, feeling like some kind of celebrity.

    Once we were inside the building, Dad spun around to face me "Go somewhere"

"What?"

"Go somewhere, I'm going to the bar"