Ch•8- Not everyone runs on Batteries

There was nothing seriously wrong with me, but they kept me in the hospital that day. A second degree burn was now branded in to my skin. Smooth, soft cloth was wrapped around my arm, and pain killers filled my body.

The doctors said I was suffering from post traumatic stress, not serious, but still. I've never had that before, I didn't think I'd ever get it.

"Where's Dad?" I asked Pepper, she sat in the corner of the room with Natalie beside her. She looked up from the newspaper, it was all about the fight.

"He went to go speak with the guy who did this" she shook her head, I could tell that Pepper was furious about the whole thing. I had my feet hanging off the bed with my toes wiggling. There was nothing to do in this hospital room. I could of been on the beach right now getting a tan, but No! We had to get attacked by a maniac.

***

Tony stepped out of the private jets kitchen, carrying two plates of food. One for Pepper and one for his daughter Jessi. They had departed from Monaco a few hours ago, finally heading home after an extremely long day. He went to the main cabin of the room where Pepper was. She was sitting on the couch, watching a Tv interview with Senator Stern. He was talking about how Tony said that 'the suits don't exist anywhere else, and yet, yesterday, there it was'. He was fed up with all this.

"Mute" he said, silencing the Tv "They should be giving me a metal" he set the two trays of food down on the table in front of Pepper "Where's the kid?"

"She went to bed" Pepper looked back to the bedroom area of the jet "it's been a long couple of days" Tony frowned momentarily "What is that?" Pepper asked, raising an eyebrow at the containers.

"This is your filet meal" he removed the top, revealing his creation.

"Did you just make that?" Pepper looked surprised.

"Yea" Tony set the top down on the floor "where do you think I've been for 3 hours. I wish that kid was here to see it"

"Tony" Peppers face softened as she spoke "what are you not telling me?"

"I don't wanna go home. At all. Let's cancel my birthday party. We're in Europe, let's go to Venice-" Pepper sighed swiftly, becoming annoyed with his babble "Pepper" Tony shook his is head "it's a great place to... be healthy"

"I don't think this is the right time. We're in... kind of a mess

"Maybe that's why it's the best time"

"Think of Jessi, she has school. The doctor says to let her rest at home. We need to get things back to normal, for her Tony, for her. And, as the CEO of Stark Industries, I need to show up-"

"As CEO, you are entitled to leave"

"A leave?"

"A company retreat"

"A retreat" Pepper questioned her former boss "in a time like this?"

"I'm just saying we need to recharge our batteries" Tony didn't meet Peppers eyes. He seemed sort of lost in his words as he spoke.

"Not all of us run on batteries, Tony"

***

It was late. Well, now it was technically morning. Tony hadn't slept all night. The jets engines were loud, so loud that Tony couldn't sleep. He just tip toed in the halls of the jet, trying not to wake anyone up. He stopped at Jessi's door.

She'd been asleep all evening and had slept solemnly through the night. Her door was cracked open. He could see her sleeping on the twin sized bed "sorry I let you down kid, I seem to do that a lot now a days, huh?" He whispered, knowing that she couldn't hear him.
"Sorry I can't be the Father you deserve..."

     A/N: This chapter was so short yet so simple, I really loved writing it. Do you think that Tony is being a good Father or not?