Ch•10-The Cold World

The whole house was shaking at the moment. Extremely loud and obnoxious music blasted through my floor. I sat on my bed, covering my ears from all the noise. People were downstairs screaming and hollering to the music. The very bed I was laying on was vibrating. Dad's voice was echoing around the house. The Dj played music for all of the world to hear, that's how loud it was.

    Dad told me that this wasn't the type of party I should be involved in. This was his 37th birthday. There would be alcohol, bad language music, insane topless girls... Yeah, I think I should stay up here. It was hard to get anything done up here with all that racket.

    I tried playing my piano, but the notes could barley be heard. I tried doing homework but I couldn't concentrate. Even reading was impossible.

    "UGH!" I groaned, rolling in my bed on to my back. All my binders and notebooks were scattered around me, creating a huge mess. I stared up at the ceiling that had stick on glow-in-the-dark stars on them. Pepper but them up there for me awhile ago. My name was spelt out up there. The sky outside was pitch black, except for all the lights coming from our house. It was easy to see all the stars.

    That's when I heard the explosion. I shot up in my bed. It sounded like Dad was using the suit. What could he possibly be using the suit for?

    I ran across my bedroom and out to the hallway. The smell of sweat and alcohol filled my nostrils, almost making me sick. I looked down from the second floor balcony to the first floor. Maybe a hundred or so partiers danced around down there. In the middle of the spotlight was Dad.

    He was decked out in the Ironman suit, and was blowing up random things that a women was throwing at him. I started down the stairs, and practically ran right in to Rhodey. He was going down stairs to the basement "What's happening Rhodey?"

    "Jessi, go outside, okay? Find Pepper and just go leave, get away from here" He pushed me in to the living room and pointed to Pepper. She was visible in the sea of sparkly and drunk clubbers.

"Rhodey, I'm freaking out. Tell me what's happening?!"

    "Tony is being stupid, that is what's happening, and I'm going to end it. So please just get yourself somewhere safe, alright?"

    My mouth was slacked, what on earth is he talking about. Ending it? I didn't argue, I ran around the crowd of people, trying to get to Pepper. Dad was totally drunk, he had lost control by now.

    He used his chest reactor to blow up a watermelon. I covered my face with my arms to protect myself from the flying juices. Everyone around me was screaming in delight. Pepper stood up there with Dad, her face was full of concern. It's like he was a completely different person.

    "I'm only going to say this once" A booming voice ordered from the back of the room. Rhodey "Get out"

    Nobody wasted anytime retreating from the house

    Nobody wasted anytime retreating from the house. I pushed my way to Pepper who was still standing in the front of the room. She remained still, not moving at all.