Ch•10- You know Me

I've been in some dangerous situations before. Like the time when Dad battled Iron Obadiah on the roof of Stark Industries. The glass and walls of the building were collapsing around me. Or like when Ivan the whip man attacked our car with his lightening whips. And how could we forget that battle at the Expo with all those machines that Justin Hammer created.

I've handled myself in those situations, but this was different.

    My body flew back from the explosion that bursted through the windows of the lab. Glass shattered, sending sharp shards into the room and cut my body. Everyone around me was thrown in different directions. Smoke filled the room the second the explosion was over. My back collided with the wall and I slid down to the floor.

    My head was spinning and things seemed to move in slow motion. Voices were yelling in all different directions but I couldn't see them. The smoke was too thick in the room. I started to gasp, taking in massive amounts of air to try and calm myself down. Red lights glowed, giving the smoke a reddish brown ominous glow.

    A pair of dark brown eyes suddenly appeared in front of me. That's when the slow motion ended and I snapped back to reality.

    "Get up Jessica, now!" The voice demanded. It was an order from Dad. He wasn't playing around now, this was the real thing. His voice was hard, but also slightly panicked. He gripped my shoulders tight and started to lift me off the hard lab floor.

"Dad?!" My voice cracked, I'm not sure if he heard me over the sirens "Dad w-what happened. I-"

    "Look at me" he held one of my arms and his other hand was searching my face for injuries "You're not too bad, yeah, a little scraped but not bad. Kid, look at me" he told me again. My chest rose and fell fast and I could barely keep my eyes on his.

"Dad I'm so scared! What happened?! I want to go home, I-"

    "Jessi I know" he tore his eyes away from me for a second to scan the dark and smoke filled lab, and then looked back to me "Just listen. Do you remember the main control room that we were in, where you met Captain Rogers and all of them?"

"Uh... I... Uh..." I was at a loss for words. I was too scared to speak.

"Do you or do you not?!" He asked louder this time, shaking my shoulders.

"Yes, yeah I remember." I think.

    "Okay" he grabbed my hand and pulled me out the door. I followed blindly, not knowing where I'm going. He was invisible through the smoke but as we exited, things became more clear. Agents outside in the halls were scrambling around, trying to contain the situation "I need you to go there, right now. It's down the hall, take two lefts-" he let go of my hand.

    "No no no" I pulled on his arm and wrapped my arms around his torso, pure panic took over me "Don't leave me! I don't know what's going on, I'm scared, please don't leave me Dad!" I squeezed my eyes shut, having a wrestlers grip on my Father "don't leave don't leave-"

    "Jessi" he pulled away and dropped to his knees to meet my height "I have to go fix the turbines, if I don't-" he swirled his finger around in the air "the ship goes down, with us in it"

    I took a deep breath. I think the shock of the explosion was wearing off now maybe "Jes, you've taken down robots, blown up buildings, and you've dealt with me. Those are all impossible things. I know you can find your way, just take a deep breath" and I did. "Okay?" He breathed, cupping my cheek with his hand. I nodded, now knowing what I had to do "Good girl" he stood up "you're so good. Now, go, go to the main control room" he spun me around and pushed me in the right direction "don't look back, just go!"