Ch•18-Destined

Rhodey landed on the top of a tall apartment building, setting me down on the roof. I stumbled around a little, trying to find my balance. It was almost pitch black out here. "you okay?" He asked, sitting down on a pipe on top of the roof. I faced him, feeling a smile rise up on my face.

    "I'm amazing! Did you see what I did!? Did you see that?!" I asked, pointing towards the burning Expo center "I took out a drone!"

    "Wow that's amazing" he clapped his Iron Man hands "I destroyed like twenty"

    I crossed my arms over my chest, biting the inside of my cheek "you overachiever. You should have saved me some" my shoulders dropped.

"This is mans work" Rhodey said, giving me a playful smirk.

"I'm a man" I said in a low voice and puffed out my chest.

"Not quite" he shook his head.

    "Hey wait a sec" I turned around, getting a 360 view of the city "where's Dad? And Pepper?"

    "You see" Rhodey explained "Your Dad said to grab whoever you find first. I saw you first so I flew down and got you out of the explosion zone. I can only hope that Tony grabbed Pepper"

"Oh" I nodded "I hope so"

    "Look" Rhodey pointed to the sky. I followed his finger to the incoming suit that was flying straight for us. I retreated back to Rhodey, just in case it was another drone.

    It wasn't, it was Dad and Pepper. Relief flooded through my whole body.

    "Oh my God" Pepper pushed Dad and his destroyed Iron Man suit away. He removed his helmet and threw it on the ground "I can't do this anymore" Pepper was yelling now.

"You can't?" Dad repeated, looking confused with her words.

   "My body literally cannot handle the stress. I never know if you're going to kill yourself or wreck the whole company!"

   "I think I did okay!" Dad extended his hand to the city, an explosion could be heard in the distance.

"I'm quitting. I'm resigning" Pepper said fast "that's it"

    "Did you just say your done?" Dad narrowed his eyes "that's surprising. No, it's not surprising, I get it. You don't have to make any excuses-"

"I'm... I'm not making any excuses."

"You actually were just making excuses, but you don't have to-"

    "No Tony, I wasn't making an excuse-"
I gave Rhodey an annoyed look but didn't say anything. The two of them haven't noticed our presence yet.

    "Listen, hey hey. You deserve better" Dad's eyes softened as he spoke, he took Peppers hand. Pepper blushed "You've taken such good care of me. I've been in a tough spot and you got me through it, so... right?"

"Thank you" Pepper smiled "Thank you for understanding"

    "Yeah" Dad nodded, getting to business, but I couldn't help notice how he was leaning in towards Pepper ever so slowly "let's talk clean up"

"I'll handle the transition, it'll be smooth"

"Ok. What about the press? Because you've had the job for a week. That's gonna seem..."

"Well, with you it's like dog years"

"I know-"

    "I mean, it's like the presidency" before she could finish. Dad pulled her up against his metal body and kissed her on the lips. Every part of it was romantic. It's like they were destined to be together, like a movie.

They stayed like that for a moment, and then pulled away "Weird" dad raised his eyebrow

"No it's not weird" Pepper shook her head. She needed a good kiss.

  "I think it's weird" Rhodey finally spoke after minutes of silence. I hit his metal arm, practically scolding him.

"I think it's cute!"

"You guys look like two seals fighting over a grape"

    "Actually" Pepper stepped away from Dad, trying to pretend that the kiss never happened "I had just quit"

"You don't have to stutter like that Pep" I laughed "We heard the whole thing"

    Dad pointed to Rhodey and I "you two should get lost" his finger was pointed directly at us. Pepper laughed

   "We were here first" I said sarcastically, sitting down next to Rhodey, prepared to sit there for the rest of the night if I have to.

"Get a roof" Rhodey added.

    This was nice, our small little family, laughing on a roof in the middle of New York, while so many other problems were occurring all around us, non of it seems to matter.

"You guys kicked ass back there, by the way" Dad complimented us.

   "Thanks, you too" Rhodey nodded "Listen, my car got taken out in the explosion, so I'm gonna have to hang on to your suit for a minute. Okay?"

"No" Dad shook his head, still holding Pepper around the waist "not okay with that"

    Rhodey stood up, readying the flight thrusters "it wasn't a question" and he took off in to the night.