Chapter 1

Chapter 1

“Hey S. M. want to come over my house later?” Danica asked wiping her head off with a towel. We had just finished practice and for some reason I was even more tired than usual. I sat panting working hard to get my breathing right.

“Uh sure what time?” I asked squinting in the sunlight. Danica grabbed her bag and started heading for the lockers.

“Oh about 4. I have some stuff I wanted to go over with you and the girls.” She said waving to me.

“Ok I’ll be there!” I called out half-heartedly waving my hand. I always stayed a little later than the other girls.  My excuse was that I liked to get in extra practice. When in reality, it was so I could see Jesse. I stood after a couple of minutes “cooling myself down” the footballers poured out onto the field in their usual loud obnoxious way. I looked every now and then waiting for Jesse to come. But unfortunately he wasn’t with them. I sighed. Some days he had to skip practice for the theater he was in. a real man isn’t afraid of admitting and showing how he feels. That is one of the reasons I liked Jesse. Manly but sensitive, certainly my type of guy. I picked up my bag and started for the locker rooms. No Jesse, no need to stay. I passed a group of the players who were laughing at some crude joke of theirs and rolled my eyes. Losers.

“Hey there goes chickzilla again!” Carson Fuller called clearly trying to get me riled up. Thankfully I was as calm as I was. I rolled my eyes again. They had a habit of making me do that a lot.

“Yo Fuller! My grandma’s a better Linebacker than you!” I called back not really weighing my pros and cons. I had a bad habit of being too confident and not completely conscious of what could happen when I am not too careful. This is high school after all.

“Girl! You better watch it or you will wish you had!” Carson yelled back no humor in his voice now. I scoffed him glancing at him like he was crazy.

“What are you gonna do? Sit on me? Ha!” I called unprepared for the reaction that caused.

“That’s it! Boys get her!” Carson yelled and before I knew what was up two of the running backs seized my arms and were dragging me back to the group of losers. One thing I learned before and should have brought it to my memory right now was that Carson was the troublemaker. As in beating people up, and messing with geeks. He was heartless. Even though Puck did the same, he was still a step up from Fuller.

“Let go of me!” I screamed kicking and trying to pull away. I did not want to know what they were thinking of doing with me now that they had me. Where was Coach Tanaka? He would have stopped them. My pleading thoughts were cut short when I was shoved in the middle of the formed circle of football players. They would do whatever Carson wanted. There were only four players that the others would listen to. Finn, Puck, Carson and Jesse. Unfortunately Carson was the one who used them to his advantage of meanness. I looked around for an escape. There was none of course.

“Those are pretty tough words coming from a chick was probably hasn’t even been with a man. Let’s see what she has to say after the boys have their way with her.” Carson sneered at me and I glared back.

“Eat it Fuller!” I yelled as the boys started to descend on me with whistles and cheers. I tensed ready to fight my way out when a voice broke through the crowd. It was sweet and smooth and I memorized its sounds from my freshman year. Jesse. I watched in aw as he pushed his way through the group separating them from me, he was flanked by none other than Finn and Puck. They must have spent some extra time in the locker room.

“Come on guys, leave the poor girl alone. Back off.” Jesse spoke and they all stepped back sulking. Instead of glaring or punching Carson like I would usually have done I couldn’t help but ogle Jesse. He was beautiful and he saved me. I smiled to myself and took a step backwards tripping over one of the feet of the football players. I was on the ground before I knew it and by the sound of all the laughing it was on purpose. I felt my face turn red immediately. How embarrassing.