Chapter 45

Chapter 45

Puck’s arms were around me in half of a second. I was uncontrollable. Just like the song said. Once I started crying I probably wouldn’t stop.
“Shhh Savannah. It’s ok. I’m right here. I won’t leave you.” Puck whispered into my hair rubbing my back up and down. I could barely hear him I was crying so hard. Seeing him just drove me over the edge or sanity. I gripped his shirt for dear life not knowing what else to do. In one fluid motion he scooped me up bridal style and shut the door with his foot before bringing me to the couch and sitting down resting me on his lap. I held him tighter than I probably held anything before. I didn’t want him to go. Ever.
“It will all be ok. I’m here for you.” Puck whispered kissing the top of my head. I was crushed. Or at least I was humiliated. I had been needing a good cry for a while and having Jesse screw me over like he did was the trigger.
“Just calm down.” Puck sounded like he was pleading as he gently hummed a song never letting me out of his arms. I wasn’t sure how long we were there but after a while I eventually fell into a weeping stupor.

I sat up and grabbed my head. Headache. Just what I hated. Then the memory of what happened yesterday hit me again. I hung my head sadly. Perfect. Another school day. Another day having to face… them. I looked around quickly. Why was I in the living room? I half gasped hearing a slight moan beside me. My eyes darted down and sure enough. Puck was sleeping like a baby wrapped in a blanket on the couch below me. We slept together? On the couch? How the heck did we fit together? Why didn’t my parents wake me up? Too many questions came to mind making my head hurt even more. I looked down at my clothes. They were the same things I wore to school yesterday. First thing first was to take a shower. I carefully climbed off of Puck so not to wake him up. What he did for me was sweet. Too sweet. I paused for a moment to stare at his peaceful face before leaning down quickly and kissing his forehead. I didn’t know what exactly made me do it. But whenever I was around him I turned into a marshmallow all over again. That was probably the closest I would get to him. Or might even want to get. I’ve got a bad track record with guys now. I trudged up the stairs grabbed some clean clothes and headed to the bathroom. I looked at my reflection shocked. Man, I looked horrible. My hair was a tangled mess, my clothes disheveled, and my mascara/eyeliner was running down my face in black streaks from my tears. That’s what I get when I bawl my eyes out. I jumped in the shower and scrubbed myself as if to try and get everything that happened yesterday off but obviously that wasn’t going to work. When I finished I threw on a t-shirt and pair of jeans before heading back downstairs. It was still quite early so no body was up yet, which I was quite thankful for. I made it down the stairs and into the kitchen to grab some quick breakfast. When I was upset I usually didn’t eat but my mom always said skipping wasn’t good so I had to choke down a banana and some orange juice as was my traditional morning drink seeing I didn’t like coffee. I walked back quietly into the living room and sat down on the chair across from Puck. His eyes were still closed and I breathed a sigh briefly.
“You were out a long time princess.” Puck muttered shifting so one leg was propped up and his arm braced his head looking at me coolly. I didn’t say anything at first not really knowing what to say.
“Umm, yea, I was kind of… out of it.” I admitted rubbing the back of my head nervously. Puck chuckled sitting up.
“I’d say.” He mused tapping his foot on the ground. I sighed again and glanced at him.
“Alright. Let’s get this over with.” I said waiting for him to start gloating. It was too much like Puck for him not to. After all he was right. Jesse was a jerk. He just looked confused.
“Get what over with?” He questioned leaning closer towards me as if to say ‘are you ok?’
“Go ahead and say it. I know it’s coming ‘I told you so Savannah. Jesse is a bad guy and you didn’t listen. Sucks for you.’” I shrugged then looked at the clock on the wall so not to meet his eyes. It was going to hurt but it was the truth. I heard him move and the next thing I knew he was kneeling at my feet making me look at him.
“Savannah. I may be a dick but I would never do that to you. Ever. You aren’t the only one who made a mistake.” He spoke wiping away a tear that had inadvertently fallen. I reached out and touched his cheek.
“Thank you.” I whispered sniffing quickly. No! Stop Savannah. Puck is Lauren’s and besides, you just totally got run over by a guy. Time to back off a bit. I stood up even though I didn’t want to and moved towards the stairs with Puck on my heels.
“Oh I’m sorry. How rude of me.” I said turning to him. “Do you want something to eat? You must be hungry. Go grab something in the kitchen. Everyone should be getting up soon. I’m just going to get my school stuff.” I finished knowing that if I didn’t keep things between us at a civil level then I might be in trouble again. I went upstairs to my room and flopped onto my bed. GAH! Why was life so mean? Why were people so mean? I moved to face my nightstand only to have a picture of me and Jesse slap me in the face. I glared at it. We looked so happy. Scratch that, I looked happy. He just looked stupid. I quickly pushed the picture off the nightstand getting angry all over again. The glass broke because I was too impulsive to think about what I was doing. I leaned over the side of my bed mentally kicking myself for breaking my favorite frame. I picked up the pieces and tossed them in the trashcan before picking up the rest of the frame and angrily tearing the picture of Jesse and I. I stopped mid rip seeing the picture that I had behind it. Me and Puck. It was another one my mother had taken. I remembered it well. I didn’t want to get rid of it so I had just put the picture of Jesse and I in front of it. I touched the picture gently. I was leaning against our couch with Puck’s head in my lap. In that picture both of us looked happy not just me.
“Alright Savannah, pull yourself together. You’ll never make it through the day like this.” I thought to myself putting the picture back on my nightstand and grabbing my backpack before heading back down. By the expressions everyone wore Puck or Bianca had explained to them what happened. My dad looked like he wanted Jesse’s head and my mom looked like she could hit something with a frying pan. Thankfully no one talked about it, which I was extremely happy for. Puck stayed the whole time making me a little nervous. What would Lauren do to me if we showed up at school together? I certainly couldn’t let it happen.
“Don’t you want to go home and get changed Puck? You wore that to school yesterday.” I asked as we all started to head out the door. Puck looked down at his black shirt and jeans with a shrug.
“I can show up to school in a hoola skirt and people would still think I’m cool. It all comes with being me. Besides. This isn’t the first time I’ve showed up to school in the same clothes…” he kind of trailed off but not before Bianca and I got what he was saying. I just gave him an annoyed look.