Chapter 37

Chapter 37

 Jesse’s relationship and mine had strengthened through the events of yesterday that was for sure. My parents nearly had heart attacks when they heard what happened but were just as grateful to Jesse as I was. Fuller obviously was suspended again with a warning of one more outburst and he would get expelled. In my opinion he should have gotten expelled after the first time. Thanks to him, I now was extremely wary when I was alone in the hallways and was ordered to have counseling sessions with Ms. Pillsbury twice a week for who knows how long. Just what I wanted. Sure I liked Ms. Pillsbury and all but I already saw her enough in celibacy club. Besides, I didn’t need counseling. I was fine. Just a little shaken at times is all. Before the start of school the next day word of what happened went around to everyone. People were flocking to me like flies wondering if I was ok, or if I needed a friend to confide in, etc. I wished Jesse was with me but he was let out of school on a ‘medical leave’ as he put it. I would see him after school and dance class but him being here would make this a little easier.

 After Spanish I stood in front of my locker collecting my bearings when I heard it.

“Savannah Mason get in my office. NOW!!” The loud speaker blasted the voice of Coach Sue Sylvester. I froze in shock as everyone looked at me with wide eyes. Why was she calling me? I didn’t do anything wrong. Maybe she was just giving her apologies for what happened. Most of the teachers did that today anyway. I could only hope. As I passed by almost all of the kids waved at me like I wasn’t going to be seen again. It was true, Sue Sylvester was that bad. I walked to her office and knocked on the door to have it opened by Coach Sylvester’s assistant Becky.

“This way.” The tiny girl said motioning for me to follow her. I took a couple of wary steps and saw Coach Sylvester at her desk writing something in a book.  I cleared my throat slightly but still she didn’t look up.

“You wanted to see me Coach?” I asked a little nervously. She finally looked up and removed her glasses giving me a ‘I’m a winner and you are fat’ look.

“As a matter of fact I did. Sit down.” She ordered and I complied immediately. One thing every kid knew was to not mess with Coach Sylvester. Ever.

The reason your butt is now on my chair is because I know your precious little secret.” Sue spoke getting right to the point. My eyes widened for a moment and I started to turn cold. What? Another one? You know God, when I asked how many others would know, I didn’t really mean I wanted others to know.

“Secret?”  I asked acting confused. She couldn’t know I was scared out of my mind.

“Yes your secret. Don’t play dumb with me young missy. I know you sing. I even saw you doing that little number in the auditorium a while back. All of this makes me wonder why you aren’t part of that glee club.” Coach Sylvester sneered at the word glee. I was screwed. How did she see me? No one was there. Well, obviously someone was.

“H….how.” I breathed out still in shock. I knew there was no way out of this now.

“Because I have eyes and ears all over this place. That’s how.” Sylvester leaned back in her chair triumphantly.

“Why are you doing this to me?” I asked hoping the tears wouldn’t fall from my eyes. I was done. My secret was going to get out to the whole school.

“Oh don’t blubber doll face. According to some people it makes you look old and ugly quicker. I have a proposition for you. I won’t let your little secret out if you do one thing.” Coach said crossing her fingers like she was the God-Father. I looked up with a cautious gaze.

“And what might that be?” I asked more than a tad suspicious. Her expression didn’t change once, which scared me.

“You become one of my cheerios and your secret is safe. When I first saw you sing, I found it quite annoying. But now that I see how popular you are getting I realized I could use this for the benefit of the cheerios. No one in this school will be popular without being a cheerio. I won’t allow it. Besides, I’m in need of some new faces that Fabray girl and ‘Sandbags’ are getting a little old. And in a strange teenie bobberish way, you’re pretty. Not to mention the cheerios look to you. What’s your answer? You say yes, and everything will be normal. You refuse and your secret will be front page for weeks. Everyone and I mean everyone will know what you are.” Coach Sylvester snickered and now she had the classic ‘I win’ expression. My eyes narrowed. I hated the cheerios more than anything. Well, after Fuller I did. This would be bad. There were things I was willing to lower myself down to, but becoming a cheerio? The more I sat and thought about it the more I realized… I had no choice. I had to accept. As much as I didn’t like being toyed with, no matter who it was I saw no way out of it yet.