Chapter 6

Dre was somewhat relieved at what he saw. Three glass display counters sat around the large store, each with stacks of computer chips inside. Resting on the glass were a long row of circular devices. On each of the walls above the counters were banners informing the types of weapons it contained: Close combat, ranged weapons, and firearms. He liked this a lot better than a store that sells potato chips.

"Welcome to Godboltz's Chip Store, the best store to visit if you want to kick some virtual ass." the store clerk said apathetically. He sat behind a cash register, reading a magazine. "If you need some help, hold on-" he interrupted himself as a customer passed by him. Holding his hand up, a computer chip zoomed out of the customer's back pocket and in between the clerk's fingers. The customer left, believing that he got away with a theft. He went on as if it didn't happen. "If you need help, refer to the signs."

"Larry Godboltz. Working hard, I see," Ichi asked the man.

"It's a tough job, but someone's got to do it," he said, his eyes still glued to his magazine.

Ichi turned to the group. "Your parents provided you credits to purchase a weapon for you to use while inside. You can also earn more credits from teachers, but that's only on special occasion. Feel free to come back later on if you feel you have enough credits. When you finish shopping, we'll go next door to the gym."

Once he concluded, the group rushed to the counters. Hundreds of chips were lined up in the counters, divided into groups by a mirror, depending on the style of weapons. Dre looked though the array of chips, picked one up, and peered at its face, hoping to see some type of identification. "I can't tell what this is," he finally said.

"If I may," Rose said as she took the chip from him and inserted it into one of the circular devices. A hologram of a katana appeared above it.

Dre looked wide-eyed. "How did you know how to do that?" She simply pointed to the wall. Under the banner that read CLOSE COMBAT, a smaller sign read,

Install the cards into the holographic projector to view the item.

"Oh. I see. Thanks, Rose," he said nervously.

"Don't mention it," she said as she walked towards the ranged weapons beside Ian. "What kind of weapon are you looking for?" he heard her ask him.

"I think my teacher called it a 'zweihander,'" he had said.

"Then you might want to check on this side. This is the stave sub-section. Here, let me show you."

"What are you going to get?" Megumi asked Keiko as she and Michael stood in front of the close combat section.

Keiko lowered her head. "We can't afford anything. Neither of us have any parents."

"Don't worry about the price. It's on me. And Dre, right?" she stated as she turned towards Dre.

Why me? Why?

"Sure, I'll help, considering my card is overloaded with credit," he said sarcastically. "Thank you for reading my mind, by the way."

"You would've helped even if I hadn't asked you to."

"That's not the point," he sighed as he turned back to the chips. Michael and Keiko started towards the firearms section. I hope mom and dad won't mind much.

So many weapons to choose from. He had no idea where to start, except that he should probably buy one that was closer to the Suscéptor. "What are you going to get, Ke'Undre?" Kim asked from his side, looking at the ballistic sub-section.

"I want to get something like the Suscéptor, the King of Element's sword," he added at her confused look, "but there's so many chips here that I'm having trouble even knowing where to start." He picked up one and inserted it into the projector. The blade was short and slim and slightly curved, definitely not what he was looking for. He pulled the card out, picked a second one up, and inserted it. This one was longer than the Suscéptor, and its blade was also slimmer. "Darn it!" he whispered to himself as he removed the chip. "So what about you, Kimmy? Do you have anything you're looking for?"

"I may get something that I can throw. It'll be kind of pointless to get a weapon when I have my claws." She raised her hand and retracted eagle-like claws from her fingers.

After a moment of observing her deadly claws, he finally said, "I see your point."

"Dre, I really hope you weren't going for a pun," Megumi said from the corner of the close combat and ranged weapon sections. She pulled the chip from the projector and made her way to Keiko.

Dre stuck his tongue out at Megumi was she turned towards the chips. "I think I'll get some throwing knives while I'm at it." He picked up a random chip from the ballistic subsection and inserted it into the projector. Instead of an image of a throwing knife, he got a tomahawk. "Or I'll just get tomahawks instead," he added, dejected.

"Do you want to trade? I got the knives," Kim suggested as she pulled her chip out of the projector beside his.

"Awesome! Thanks!" He took the chip from her hand exchanged it with his. After trading, he went back to the one handed sword subsection, picked up a random chip, and placed it in the projector. "Finally!" he called out as an image of a hand-and-a-half broadsword appeared. It didn't have the same hilt as the Suscéptor, but Dre figured that it was for aesthetics only. "You should probably get a sword, too. Or maybe a sword and shield. Y'know, just in case."

"That may be a good idea," Kim said, looking through the chips. Dre walked to the cash register, where Michael, Keiko, Rose, Megumi, and Ian stood waiting.

"No way. You're the youngest daughter of Toney Gladestone, aren't you?" the clerk asked, inserting the chip into his own projection to be sure it's not damaged. A spear displayed; Dre figured that she would need it because of her extensive height disadvantage.

Megumi sighed, sounding exhausted as she said, "Yes. I am Megumi Gladestone."

"Never thought I'd see a celebrity in here. Are you gonna get a zweihander like your old man?"

"No thanks, I'd rather be my own person." She sounded annoyed as she handed him the second chip. His eyebrows arched as the item was displayed; a twin set of Micro-Uzis.

"I thought your dad didn't approve of guns, let alone a submachine gun." He rang up the two chips as Keiko gave the man hers.

"A bit rebellious, aren't we?" Ichi asked, amused.

The clerk rang up the chips, costing one-thousand and forty-three credits. "What's a teenager without a little bit of rebellion?" Megumi asked as she handed the man her card.