Chapter 86

Kim sat in front of the giant sword monument. The wind blew through the trees, breaking the silence with the familiar sounds of the spring winds that she used to hear at the lake with her parents. Her thoughts were running wild on this part of the exam. Sure, she did well during the first two exams, but they weren't combat related. This time, she was fighting against Edge Walkers. Memories of almost dying by them began to creep in her mind. Not to mention how Dre was almost killed when he blacked out. She was worried, and at the same time, she was confident. Dre would be by her side, fighting with her. And Megumi. And Rose. All of her teammates, the ones that she trusted with her life, would be beside her. She felt safe with the knowledge.

"Oh! Hey Kimmy," she heard as Dre walked towards her, a heart-melting smile on his face. She smiled as she waved back. "How'd the test go for you?"

"Pretty good for the most part. I think I did a lot better than I expected to. The Masters seemed nice, too."

"Big time. I probably wouldn't have done well if it wasn't for you."

"Me?" Kim asked, befuddled.

Dre nodded. "If you hadn't have told me that you believed in me, I wouldn't have been able to do nearly as good." He pulled her in a tight hug and gave her a quick kiss. "It feels weird being the person who gives the hug, but thank you."

"My pleasure," she said with a pleased grin.

"Get a room, you two," Michael had said, walking up to them with Keiko and Rose.

"Hey, man," Dre said, waving to Michael. "What did they make you do?"

"Nothing. Once I came in, they gave me an awkward look and told me that they had no idea what I should do, so they just passed me."

"Cheater," Dre said under his breath.

"How did you two do?" Kim asked Rose and Keiko.

"I did awesome!" Keiko exclaimed with a toothy grin. "They said that I was exceptional."

"I did well, also," said Rose. "They suggested that I try to do some studying on the different types of poisons to learn how to heal them better."

"So far, so good then," Dre said. "Now all there's left to do is to wait for Ian and Megumi. Does anyone have anything to do?"

"I brought cards." Michael pulled out a deck of cards from his back pocket and began shuffling them.

"Wait, why didn't you bring them out while we were waiting in the cafeteria?"

"No one asked if there was anything to do." Dre scowled at him, but Michael only held up the deck. "Blackjack, anyone?"

~~~~~

After about forty-five minutes, both Megumi and Ian strolled out onto the Edge Walker's forest. Megumi had a look of absolute boredom as she joined the group. "What're you guys been up to?" Megumi asked.

"Getting beat in Blackjack," Kim answered. "I'm beginning to think you're cheating, Michael."

"Come on, Kim. Would I really cheat?" he asked as he passed out two cards to Kim, Dre, and Rose.

"Yes," Dre said. "You'd use that weird power you got to change the cards you have. Or, you'd use it to increase your luck."

"My ability does not change the type of cards I have, nor does it change my luck. My ability only increases my reaction time, my strength, and my senses. You know that." He placed two cards in front of him. "Besides, I lost from time to time."