Chapter 12

After breakfast, Dre brushed his teeth and rushed into his room to get dressed. Snapping off the top of the tube, he was surprised to find how heavy the shirt was. He slid his shirt on, almost falling from the weight. Dad wants me to wear this all week? This is insane. After struggling to stand, he threw on a green T-shirt and a pair of light blue jeans over his weighted clothes. Samantha would come in a few minutes to pick him up, so he rushed to gather his school supplies and jammed them in his bag. That is, of course, if she even decides to show.

"Where is my phone?" he whispered to himself, looking through his unmade bed. "Ian! Have you seen my phone?" he called behind him.

"Nope. You don't need it, anyways. Nobody calls you."

"Dude," he stated quietly. He sighed, looking under his bed. Could've at least called it or something before insulting my social life. Blitz yipped behind him; Dre slid from under the bed, seeing his cell phone lay in front of a proud looking Blitz. "Thanks, little guy," he said, scratching the puppy's head.

They are extremely dependable, both on and off the battlefield. Hiro's words suddenly flashed into his mind. What made them so dependable on the battlefield? Dre then remembered his first meeting with Megumi's Amian pet, how Megumi gave a command and it followed almost instantly. He looked over to his clock. 7:30. Just enough time.

"Say Blitz. What do you say about doing some training before school?" Blitz cocked his head. "Let's go, buddy," he said, patting his leg as he left from his room.

He and Blitz dashed out of the house, almost jumping the steps. I hope I can remember what she said. "Okay Blitz-" he pointed towards the woods beside his house, "Alfalfa to kathitrio pire!" Blitz did nothing but look at the woods expectantly.

"Aw, come on boy. Why didn't that work?"

His dad, saying bye to Ian, began walking down the steps. "You okay, son? I thought you got possessed out here or something."

"I'm trying to teach Blitz to use his power. I tried saying what Megumi said, but it didn't work."

Raheem kneeled in front of Blitz, observing him for a moment. "Let me try. Blitz, kerav̱nós!" Blitz's ears stood up for a second before he opened his mouth, spewing scattered lines of electricity from it. "Well, there's one of your problems. Blitz uses electricity."

"One of my problems?"

Turning to Dre, he said with a smile, "Your second problem was that you were saying gibberish." His smiled wavered as he looked passed him.

Dre turned to see Samantha's car pulling towards his yard. Joy.

"Looks like your ride's here. Good luck," he added as he quickly made his way to the truck, almost skidding as he drove away before seeing Samantha. Dre didn't blame him.

He waved as Samantha pulled into the driveway. "Hey, Samantha." He couldn't hide the dread in his voice as she got out.

Samantha eyed him down, tisking as she shook her head. "No, that won't do."

"Huh? What do you mean?"

She made her way towards her. "Your clothes. Your hair. Your eyes. They all've got to change. I got some clothes for you to change into in the backseat."

Tell her off, Dre. You're a man, the King of Elements. Be brave enough to finally tell her off.

"No."

Samantha looked perplexed. "No what?"

"I'm not changing, not anymore. Not my appearance, not the people I talk to, not myself. If you want someone different from me, then you're better off not even talking to me."

She scowled at him. Dre could swear that her eyes changed. The whites of her eyes looked to have turned black, and her emerald green eyes shifted to honey-yellow. "Fine then. Walk to school." She slammed her car door and sped off.

Dre couldn't hide his smile as he watched her go. "Did you see that, boy?" he asked Blitz. "I finally told her off." His smile waned. "I told off my girlfriend. Probably the only one I'll have until I'm at least in my forty's. And I have to get Ian to take me to school." He slumped his shoulders as he and Blitz made his way back to the house.

~~~~~~

Samantha was furious as she sped out of Dre's neighborhood. His words kept replaying in her mind, making her not only more furious, but also more confused. Why did my control wear off? Am I missing something? Am I not strong enough to control him?

A black ribbon began swirling in the passenger's seat. More ribbons began quickly appearing, until she saw a face form from the darkness. "You rang, dear Samantha?" she heard a young boy's voice ask beside her.

"The deal we made. You said you'd make me more powerful than my queen. Why, then, am I not even powerful enough to control Dre?"

The boy chuckled. "It's no lie that you're becoming more powerful than your queen. But as I've stated to you before our deal, that will take time for you to be as strong as her." She glanced at him, looking at the dark hair where his eyes would be. "Don't fret, Samantha. You wanted to be a more powerful Siren, and I made it so. That mark on your arm is proof of our deal."

Samantha slid her sleeve up, showing the blood-red swirls on her bicep; the mark that was made by her own blood. "Then why can I not control Dre?" She didn't try to hide the anger rising in her voice.

"I do not hold all of the answers. Why not go and ask your queen? I'm sure she would be more than willing to hear about your adventures. I'm almost beginning to think that those little invasions of yours on Amity were not just to test your powers. Could it be that your greed is finally starting to take control of you?"

She hated that arrogant tone of his.

"How long will it take before I am as strong as Queen Melody, Aggaron? I'm beginning to grow impatient."

Shrugging, Aggaron said, "Who can say? It may take a day, or it could take years. Just try not to get yourself killed before then."

He smiled; a blade of fear cut through Samantha.