Chapter 94

This is bad, Bianka thought to herself as she stood in front of the entrance to the academy. Her breathing labored, she watched as the chaos happening in front of them. Former teachers, as well as current, were pitted against the onslaught of Edge Walkers rushing the school. Above them were streaks of light clashing against one another as Sirens battled against their renegade brethren. She'd lost sight of Marcus.

She seemed to be battling for hours until backup finally arrived. The battle axes she held in her hands felt like lead weights. Her slacks were plastered with lashes and blood, as well as her flame-red jacket. Her armor had scrapes and dents in it where the Sirens had attacked her. The blades of her axes were turning black from slaying countless waves of Edge Walkers.

And it seemed like a new wave was replacing the one that was currently being mowed down. The black ooze from the slain Edge Walkers began bubbling, as if someone or something was submerged under a black ocean. Soon later, clawed hands started to spring up, pulling themselves out of the puddles of blood. She tried to listen for a Siren's song, but the constant yelling and gurgling cries of the Edge Walkers made it next to impossible. So instead, she willed herself to raise her battle axes and charged forward. That is, until an Edge Walker rose beside her. She held the axes in front of her, the faces of the blades turned towards the monster, but it had swiped at her with a vicious haymaker, knocking her against the front door.

Bianka fell to the ground, dazed and barely able to breathe. She could feel the Edge Walker stalking her, like a coyote to a prey. If only she had the strength to wield her secret weapon, this would all be over, and she'd be able to move inside.

But instead, she was forced to lay there, waiting for the Edge Walker to finish her.

Just then, three kunai knives impaled the beast's neck, freezing it in an icy embrace. A body landed gently in front of her, wearing the silver Kurai Elite uniform that she was so accustomed to seeing. Braided hair covered the man's head, falling just short of the back of his neck. At the end of each braid were clear and white beads. "Marcus," she called faintly.

The man turned towards her, peering into her with cyan, almost luminescent eyes. "Are you okay, Aunt B.?" he asked.

"Ian? What are you-" Before she could finish, five more bodies landed around Ian, roaring as they rushed into the chaos.

"Don't speak," he shushed her, kneeling down beside her. "Here. Eat this." He pulled something from the case attached to his pants and gingerly placed it in her mouth. She chewed on the small, teardrop-shaped object, immediately wishing she didn't as an extremely bitter taste exploded in her mouth. It was as if she'd bitten into a Tylenol. Slowly, her strength began to flow through her. A seed of Marathon. Why didn't she think of that?

She stood, staring into her nephew's eyes. "What are you doing here? You know that this is a Voyager-Journeyman mission, don't you?"

"Yeah, but you know how we Wolves are. We're rebels. Besides, you'd be dead if I didn't come."

"Well... true. But..." Her voice trailed off. As much as she didn't like it, he had a point.

Grinning, Ian looked around. "Where's Unc?"

"I don't know. He was trying to protect me while I take a breather, and the next thing I knew, he was gone."

Ian looked back at the battle, scanning it as if he was looking for Marcus. "He'll be okay. You should go somewhere safe. We got this." He conjured two wakizashis before dashing into the battle.

With her strength returning, Bianka rushed into the school. She knew that once she retrieved her secret weapon, the battle outside won't last long.