Chapter 50

Dre made his descent in front of the academy's gates. He could tell from the way he was fighting as opposed to Kamatsu that he still had a ways to go before he was at his level. After he pushed open the gates, he rushed down the opal stone path, through the main building and courtyard, and into the Tower of Flames, out of breath. I've got to run more.

As he reached for the elevator door, he paused and looked above the elevator, where the number seven was lit up, which was the same floor that he was going to. Odd. He shrugged it off as a coincidence and pressed the call button with his middle finger.

The elevator began to hum as it lowered down the floors. Slowly. Dre began tapping his foot impatiently as the number shifted from six to five. Would he even have time to spar today? Sure, they left at around twelve, but it felt like they had been in there for hours. Not to mention the fact that the sun was setting. Time was an enigma on this planet.

He slid his phone from his pocket and turned it on, though the clock only said inexact. What he wouldn't give to be able to see what time it was at home.

Dre boarded the elevator and rode it to the seventh floor. He had hoped that Tiffany or, God forbid, Ichi was on the floor, though it wouldn't make sense for Ichi to be there, since he said he was going home. Still he didn't want to run into any of the Masters while he was there.

At last, the door slid open. Down the hall, Dre noticed that one of the doors was open; Tiffany's door. Great. Now he had to explain to her that he left his practice sword and gauntlets in his locker. He could just imagine the look of disappointment on her face. Sighing, he walked down the hall, trying to think of an excuse.

"And how do you feel about me?" Dre stopped right outside the door as he heard someone say from inside the classroom. Megumi? Why would she be ask her her mother that?

Planting himself on the wall, Dre listened for Tiffany's voice. Instead, Megumi was answered by Katherine, saying, "I'm not sure. I could have feelings for you in that kind of way, but I don't really have much experience in relationships."

What the hell? Dre mouthed. He shimmied closer to the door frame. Peaking his head in would probably end up getting himself caught, so instead, he angled his cell phone to use as a makeshift mirror, peering into the classroom. Both Katherine and Megumi stood near the center, with Megumi uncrossing her arms and closing the distance between the two. "Well, there is a way to find out."

"How?"

Gingerly, Megumi wrapped her arms around Katherine's neck, pulling her slowly towards her own face. Both Dre's and Katherine's eyes were the size of quarter dollars as Megumi pulled her into a deep kiss. Katherine's arm twitched, as if she was deciding whether she should embrace her or pull away. Slowly, she placed one hand on the small of Megumi's back. Her other hand ran through her scarlet hair, cradling the back of her neck.

Dre's mouth was gaped in utter astonishment. There was no way that he was seeing Megumi kissing Katherine. And yet, it was all happening before his eyes. He shook his head in disbelief; surely he was hallucinating from the effects of the simulation. But simulation or no, his sword and gauntlets was in clear sight. The only thing that was stopping him was a possible hallucination with one of his best friends kissing his sparring partner. He gulped as he took a step. Towards the elevator. Sprinting as silently as he could.

~~~~

"Say, Jeremy. Can I ask you something?" Chris asked silently as they, along with Alisha and Joel, sat in the living room, waiting for Loyalty and Sakura to return from the store with popcorn for their movie night. The Sirens sat with them; Garnet sat in the recliner, writing in a small notebook, while Emma kneeled in front of the table beside her, sharpening a dagger over a towel. Jeremy looked to him as he continued. "I got possessed by a Siren a few months, and Joel, Sakura, and Loyalty saved me from having a beautiful mistress. I know that I'd be killed after she was done with me, but that's beside the point. Now, we have two Sirens living under the same roof as us, one of which has a bone weaved into her hair. Be honest, are they here because it's for an early birthday gift, or is this just a teaser for something even better?"