Chapter 69

Dre crawled out of the tent, the sun beaming in his eyes as he looked around. Only Megumi, Rose, and Kimmy sat on the logs outside, chatting with each other. Kimmy was the first to notice him. "Oh. Good morning sleepyhead," she said, grinning.

"Morning. Where is everyone?"

"Ian, Keiko, and Michael went to the lake to do some fishing," Rose began. "Katherine and Kamatsu went off somewhere to do some training."

"Do you know which way they went? Kamatsu and Katherine, I mean."

"I think they went down the lake," Megumi said, pointing down the road. "Why? What's going on?" she added as Dre hurriedly started towards the road.

"I've got to have a talk with Kamatsu."

"Are... you going to try to fight him again?" Kim asked, her ears downcast.

"Don't worry. It's not anything like that. I've just gotta go and apologize."

"What's with the sudden change of heart?" Megumi asked.

"I just saw how much of a jerk I was. I mean, I kind of feel bad since he did try to apologize a lot, and I threw it back in his face. Hiro made me realize that."

"Well, I'm glad that someone did." Megumi grinned. "They're at the beach. Kat told me that they were gonna train there."

"Thanks," Dre said with a nod. "Hopefully when I get back, I won't have this weight on my shoulders." And with that, he made his way to the beach.

A cool breeze blew through him as he walked down the road, making the dead leaves blow against each other, sounding somewhat like heavy rain. The waves in the lake crashed against the shore.

As he walked, he could swore he heard Ian say, "This is so boring!"

"But we're gonna get food this way," he heard a woman's voice say. He could tell by the cheerful demeanor that it was Keiko. It was odd hearing how much deeper her voice sounds after her growth spurt, and it was even more odd that she's just as tall as he. Some people get all of the luck. Walking through the small thicket of trees, he saw Michael, Ian and Keiko each sitting on buckets in front of the lake, with fishing rods in their hands. With a mischievous grin, he sneaked to their spot.

"Couldn't we have got some burgers or something? I could've been taking this time to get to know Rose more."

"If you invest your time in nothing, you will learn nothing," Michael said as he reached in his tackle box for a worm. "There may be a time that you will need this skill in order to survive. You must be ready!" He threw the worm at Dre, hitting him in his forehead.

Crying out, Dre thrashed about on the ground as he tried throw the worm off of him. If there one thing that he severely didn't like, it was worms. He couldn't even eat gummy worms, out of fear that he'd actually be eating a live one.

Both Keiko and Ian turned to look at Dre spazzing out on the ground. "Oh, hi Dre," Keiko said. "Are you having fun over there?"

"Dude! Don't laugh! Get it off me!" Dre pleaded, running his fingers through his hair to make sure that he didn't miss it.

"If you hadn't have been sneaking up on us, that wouldn't have happened," Michael stated, though he looked like he was struggling to keep a straight face.

"Damn, that's a big ass worm!" Ian said, making Dre freak out again. Dre frowned as he realized he'd been tricked. Michael turned back to the lake. "What are you doing here, anyways?" Ian asked his brother.