Chapter 15

"Hi, Ke'Undre," Kimmy said brightly. Dre, looking glum, murmured as he stood beside her under the cloudy skies. "Oh, my God, what happened?"

"Sparring. Pain. Ouchies. I'm surprised that you could see my bruises under my clothes."

"Huh? No, I mean your cheek."

"It's still there?" He hadn't noticed the pain emanating from his cheek after the match with Katherine. Geez, it's been three hours. How long will it take to wear off? "I got into an argument with Samantha after she tried to kiss me and threw me against a student's car. This-" he pointed to his cheek, "was the result of it."

"Oh, my. I'm so sorry. I wish you didn't have to deal with her anymore."

"Wish granted. She broke up with me." He shrugged. "It's probably for the best."

"Possibly," Kim said with a bright smile. "At least you're free from... her." She put on a sour face.

"I'm going to guess you don't like her either."

"Well, I don't not like her."

Dre raised his eyebrows, surprised that Kim could have any kind of resentment for someone.

Moments later, Bianka strode into the clearing, wearing a sweater that was much too big for her. "Settle down students," she said, beaming. The class instantly quieted, avoiding the dark side of their outlandish teacher. "Welcome back to class, everyone! I'm assuming that everyone was able to enjoy an extra day of break while I was away? Just as a little welcome back thing, we're going to do some target practice." A mist flowed into the training arena, enveloping the Apprentices in its chilling embrace. Bianka grinned. "And here to help me with your targets is my husband, Marcus Wolf."

"Husband?! The fu-" Dre felt an elbow nudge him hard in the ribs. He turned, seeing Marcus stand beside him absorb the mist into his hands. The three silver loops on his bottom lip glimmered slightly with the sunlight.

"Watch your mouth, Dre."

Rubbing his ribs, he angrily grumbled, "Yes sir."

Bianka gave an impish smile. "The objective is simple: you'll be placed in three groups of five. Destroy the targets using only your elemental powers. Whether you use fire or electricity is up to you. The targets and their functionalities will be based solely on what Marcus wants them to do." Marcus grinned, expelling a puddle of water in front of them.

Bianka grouped the Apprentices, making sure to partner Dre with Kim. The rest of his group groaned at the mention of his name, remembering his terrible fire control. As if I needed the "praise" from my peers. "Settle down!" Bianka said, sounding stern. The Apprentices instantly silenced. "Now, since there will be so many of you, I will have to make you go group by group. Team number one­-" she pointed at Dre's group, "you're up!"

Grumbling, his team readied their fire in their hands; both Kim and Dre did the same. "Well, look who's finally been able to forge fire," one of his teammates said beside him. The rest of the student sneered at the coming, save Kim, who looked more frustrated than anything. Dre looked down, and to his surprise, an orange wave of fire enveloped his hand. There was no time to gawk at it, however, as Bianka gave Marcus the signal to launch the targets.

At once, five large squares of ice popped up in a line from the puddle, one for each team member. Dre held onto his wrist, aim at a block of ice, and released. The fire spiraled towards the targets, missing each block.

"Why do we have to get stuck with him?" another member of his group groaned, blowing away a target. Another one popped up in its place.

Focusing, Dre aimed for a different target and fired.