Chapter 18

Oh, we had better not be going where I think we're going, Dre thought to himself as he lurched through the darkness.

His eyes flashed open sooner than usual as he began to descend. They phased through thick tree limbs and hovered over a forest that he wouldn't even dream of seeing. A vast lake sat under them, glowing a bright green. Lights shone from every direction, some floating across his eyes. He saw that they were the same bioluminescent butterflies from the Edge Walker's forest. "Cool."

As sudden as his eyes opened, he and Megumi were careening towards the lake at full speed. "Not cool! Not cool!" They both landed with a large splash in the freezing cold lake. Below him, he could see what looked like seaweed casting off the light they saw from above. Its color slowly shifted from green to blue. He swam back to the surface.

"Dude! It's so c-c-c-cold!" He stammered, hugging himself for warmth once they swam out of the lake. Megumi ignited her hands and slowly scanned her clothes with it, partially drying herself off. "You s-s-showoff."

She smirked before looking around at the large and thick trees. The limbs seemed to almost connect with each other, with enough room to allow multiple people to walk over them with no problems. The sky were blocked off by a seemingly endless roof of leaves and branches. "So, this is Moonlit Town. Pretty awesome."

It would have been awesome to Dre, if it wasn't for the fact that he saw no other Amians around, and he had a strong suspicion that they were being watched. He darted his eyes around the forest. "Megumi, we need to leave here, and fast."

"Aw, quit your worrying. There's not even anyone around here." She moved over to a bush, where different colored insects flashed with each word she said.

"And that doesn't arouse your suspicion?"

Shrugging, she said, "Not really. They're all probably-" her voice faded as she paled, looking up at one of the trees.

Dre followed her eyes to three pairs of glowing eyes peering at them in a dark hole in the tree. He lowered his voice. "What did I tell you? I told you that we needed to leave." He reached for his honey drop in his pocket.

Before he was able to pull the candy out, he felt an arm wrap around his neck tightly. He tried to yell out to Megumi, but he couldn't even make out a squeak. Two pale, almost radiant figures walked towards her on either side.

I've got to get her attention somehow. An idea clicked in his head. He held his hand towards her, formed a fireball, and shot it towards her. Fortunately, it missed and evaporated just shy of one of the mighty trees.

"Watch where you-" she was instantly silenced as she saw the two figures turned towards Dre. "Let him go." Her voice was stern, but didn't seem to daunt the three people.

"As you wish, northerner," he heard a female's voice say behind him before the grip was released. He crashed to the ground, gasping for precious air. The two men in between Megumi and Dre sneered as they turned back to Megumi.

"Who the hell are you?" Megumi asked.

The man to Dre's left, a tall man with curly, auburn hair began to laugh. "You've got a lot of nerve intruding on our land and making demands." He and a shorter man with a buzz-cut began to close the distance on her.

"She's is pretty cute though. For a northerner, that is," the shorter man said. "How about we keep her as our little toy?"

"Toy!?" She cried in outrage.

Dre attempted to crawl towards the three until something hard ram into his ribs, causing him to turn towards his captor.

The woman grinned at him, her straight dark brown hair drooping over her shoulder. Dre was paralyzed as he looked into the woman's eyes, seeing the same shining eyes as Amy, the ticket girl at the tournament. She kneeled down to him until she was inches away from his. When she spoke, her voice was low and sultry. "You're kind of cute, too. Wanna be my toy?"