Chapter 29

Ichi replaced the phone on the receiver and waited in silence until she came in. McManus tapped his nails on his desk impatiently as he rested his head on his hand. "So," he began, breaking the quietness, "how are things between you and Kiku?"

"Same as ever," Ichi answered as he leaned on the table and crossed his arms over his chest. "She's thinking about going into teaching soon. Or was it acting? I've since forgot. How're you and Brianna? Thinking about asking the big question yet?"

Before McManus could answer, the office door swung open, and Samantha strolled in with a sour look on her face. Not even glancing at Ichi, she walked towards McManus. "What is it this time, Demetrius?" she said in a French accent.

McManus struggled to hide his frown as he stated, "I didn't call you in here. He did." He inclined his head to Ichi, who put on his usual foxlike sneer as Samantha turned to see him. Once she turned towards him, McManus mouthed some rude words behind her back.

"You?" She arched an eyebrow at him, looking as if she thought he was just another student.

"Me," he simply said as he uncrossed his arms. "I've been told that you've missed an astounding number of days of school, and it's beginning to grow quite worrisome."

"What's it to you?" she asked with an edge. "So what if I miss a few days, I'm here now, aren't I?"

"That may be true, however it's not your schoolwork that I'm worried about. That's reserved for students who are exactly what they appear to be."

Her eyes widened for a second before she scowled and said, "What's that supposed to mean?"

Ichi chuckled as he shook his head. "Are you familiar with Greek mythology? Or, to be exact, Sirens?"

Samantha swallowed before saying, "What does that have to do with me?"

After slamming his hands on the table, McManus said, "Okay, enough beating around the bushes. Just tell us that you're a Siren so we can arrest you already."

"Excuse me? You can't arrest me for being a Siren," Samantha said in outrage.

"I'm aware of that. Being a Siren isn't illegal," Ichi stated as he pulled a pair of handcuffs from his pocket. "But illegally conjuring Edge Walker's on multiple separate occasions? That, you can, and will, be arrested for. And that's not even mentioning your other escapades with summoning the Edge Walkers."

"You have no proof of this," Samantha hissed. Her Human eyes were replaced with her black and gold Siren eyes. "I'll see to it that the Siren's slowly eviscerate you."

"I'm not that worried about it," Ichi said with a sneer. He reached for the throwing knife at his hip and slid it out of his beltline. Waving the knife in front of her, he sneered as he asked, "Are you familiar with a Daven Hero?" Samantha gasped; her golden eyes widened at the mention of his name. "I figured that you did. He told me all about you. You took control of his older cousin, one of the only people in his family that he can trust, and has been hunting you down diligently to free him. Of course, you know that by that wound on your arm, wouldn't you Miss Sonata," he added, pointing the knife at her accusingly. Samantha gasped as she placed a hand over her arm. He laid the knife on the table and pulled out a pair of ear plugs and titanium handcuffs. As he inserted the ear plugs in his ear, he said, "Now, why don't you be a good little girl and slip these stylish bracelets on."

Samantha inhaled sharply through her nose and let out an ear splitting screech above her, blowing away a large section of the roof. Ichi formed a shield of ice and blocked himself from the falling debris, leaving Samantha with ample opportunity to sprout wings of yellow feathers from her back and arms and vaulted through the hole.