Chapter 55

"Is she still in there?" Rose heard one of the maids ask from the other side of her bedroom door.

"I believe so," another voice said. "I wonder what happened. The last think I heard was something about a muscle-headed buffoon getting himself..." his voice trailed off as both the maid and the butler's footsteps receded down the hall.

Rose lifted her head with her knees still cradled to her chest. She hadn't been able to sleep at all last night. Anytime she attempted to, the image of the spear running through Ian forced itself into her dreams. Just thinking about it made her sick to her stomach.

But why was she feeling this way? Ian wasn't actually killed and was even acting normally after they left the simulation. So why did she still feel this way? None of it made sense.

There was a small rap at the door. "Sorry to bother you, Miss Rosemarie. You have two guests that wish to see you," a butler said on the other side of the door. Do you wish to see them?"

"I don't know," she sighed, her voice sounding rough from sobbing. She cleared her throat. "Who are they?"

"A Michael and Keiko, Miss."

Rose's head popped up hastily. Shouldn't they be at school at the moment? "Yes, yes, let them in."

The butler held the door open for both Keiko and Michael. Keiko entered with her usual energetic splendor, while Michael slowly walked in, apparently dumbfounded by the size of the room. She wasn't to seeing Michael's eyes opened so wide, or seeing him with a different emotion other than distain. "And I thought that Megumi's house was big," he breathed. "I never would have guessed that such a large house even existed in Prescott."

Rose sat on the edge of her bed, allowing the silk, pearly-white nightgown drape slightly above her knees. "What are you guys doing here? It must be well past the beginning of school."

"It is," Keiko said as she hopped beside her. "We were worried about you. You hadn't answered any of my calls last night."

"Y-yeah," Michael added, turning away from Rose as soon as he turned towards her. "Keiko's stubborn. She refused to go until she walked to you."

Keiko nodded beside Rose. "I'm flattered, but honestly, school is more important than me."

"We've had a near perfect attendance for years, so I wouldn't worry about it," Keiko said. "Are you still mad at Ian?" Her eyes seemed to peer into Rose's, hoping to get the answer from them.

"Er... I suppose. It's rather difficult." Keiko tilted her head. "I am still angry with him, but I don't know why. It's all rather silly, I suppose." She chuckled ruefully. "Also, I apologize for not answering my phone last night. I told Miss Francesca that I didn't want to accept any calls." Her voice began to waver as she looked away from Keiko.

Exhaling, Keiko threw herself off of Rose's bed, silently landing on her feet. "Okay. Stand up, Rosemarie."

"Pardon?"

"Stand up. Stand up," she said, animated.

'Okay, okay." Rose stood awkwardly in front of Keiko. She wasn't exactly used to taking such orders. As soon as she stood, Keiko lunged at her, tightly wrapping her arms around Rose's waist. She gave a startled gasp, almost toppling to the ground. She looked down at the top of her shiny, black hair, completely unsure of what to do.

"You looked like you needed a hug," Keiko said as she released Rose. She smiled. "Do you feel any better?"

"Yes," Rose said, surprised. "Yes, I actually do. What did you do to me?"