Chapter 28

"I'm just saying dude, The Flash would totally beat Sonic in a footrace," Megumi said after munching on a sandwich. She, along with Dre and Kim, sat in their usual spot in the large cafeteria. Normally, they were supposed to be in their final class of the day, but after their teachers left for a mission, they were relocated to the cafeteria to study Amian History. Of course, Megumi decided not to study and bring up an argument with Dre over who was the fastest between Sonic the Hedgehog and The Flash.

"Dude, don't even speak to me with such blasphemy," Dre demanded after he took a gulp of juice. "The Flash might be fast and all, but he can't even hold a candle to Sonic."

"Well yeah, he can't. Only because Flash's backwind will blow the candle out after he passes Sonic."

"Really now? Can you believe this nonsense, Kimmy?" Dre asked as he turned towards Kim, who had her nose in her book.

Kimmy, sitting beside Dre, looked away from the book to Dre, then Megumi, then back to her book.

"Ah, whatever."

"What are you two arguing about this time?" Katherine asked as she took a seat beside Megumi. Her plate was stuffed with an assortment of different fruits and a grilled chicken sandwich.

"Hey, Kat. This loser believes that Sonic is faster than the Flash," Megumi said, pointing an accusing finger at Dre.

"He's not," Katherine simply stated before she popped a grape in her mouth.

"You don't even read comics, so your opinion is irrelevant." He turned his attention back to Megumi, missing Katherine giving him the finger. "I know you heard the theme song. Sonic moves at the speed of sound."

Megumi swallowed another bite of her sandwich before she stated, "The Flash runs at the speed of light."

"Yeah, but what about-" Before he was able to finish his statement, he heard his name called from the entrance. Their attention was quickly shifted to Dre's mother, who looked around the cafeteria in a panic. Once her eyes locked onto Dre, she dashed after him, knocking over any one who was in her way.

Pulling him into a tight embrace, she said, "Oh, Ke'Undre! I was so worried about you after I found out about your girlfriend! Are you okay? Do you remember who I am?"

"Dre's alright, Abby," Raheem said through pants as he walked towards the group. "Though, you're going to make him pass out if you don't let him out of your sleeper hold."

Abigail looked perplexed at Raheem, before shifting her attention to Dre, who softly patted her arm, croaking, "I'm tapping out. I'm tapping out." Both Megumi and Katherine snickered in their hands, while Kimmy looked on in concern.

"Oops. Sorry, Dre," Abigail said as she released him.

"What the 'H,' mom?" he gasped, taking in deep breaths. "Why are you acting so weird?"

"It's about your girlfriend," Raheem butt in. "Does she seem... out of the ordinary to you?"

Both Megumi and Kim looked at Dre with the same confused expression. "Besides being nonexistent, no," he said after clearing his throat. "We broke up about a month ago."

"Why are we just now learning about this, son?" Abigail asked, looking more upset than worried.

"You should tell your parents about these types of things," Megumi said with a sly tone.

"Agreed," Katherine added in.

He glared at the girls before turning back to his parents. "I didn't think that it'd be important, considering that we were barely going out even at the height of our relationship. What's going on?"