Chapter 16

"What are you two doing here?" Megumi asked after swallowing a spoonful of curry. "Aren't you two supposed to be in class?" She put on a mischievous look as she asked, "You two aren't skipping to  make out, are you?"

Kimmy blushed as she and Dre sat down beside her. "It's nothing like that. We both got out of class early."

Megumi grinned. "So, how's the single life treating you?"

Dre gulped down a bite from his hamburger. "Honestly, I don't feel any different from when I was with Samantha."

"That's because you were in a piss poor relationship to begin with. Now you don't have a reason not to talk to anyone anymore. If you want my advice, there is a certain cutie who's pretty single right now." She cast an eye towards Kimmy.

"Why do you keep trying to put me and Ke'Undre together?" Kimmy asked hesitantly before taking a bite of her ham sandwich.

Shrugging, Megumi grinned as she said, "Just think of me as a heaven-sent cupid; an angel of love here to set the bond between two star-crossed lovers."

"Even if we were in love," Dre began after taking a drink, "I doubt we would be considered star-crossed lovers. Though, you are short enough to be cupid," he added in a hushed voice.

"What do you have planned after supper?" Kimmy asked Megumi.

"Nothing, really. My teacher's still not able to come to school because of the ordeal Sylvia, so I'm stuck here with an hour with nothing to do. It really blows."

"Wanna come to the armory with me? Katherine wants me to go there to get something defensive," Dre offered.

"Katherine?" Megumi blushed slightly. "Sure, I'm game. Are you coming too, Kim?"

Kimmy grinned. "Yep. My mother suggested that I get a bow, so this would be the best time to buy one."

"Oh! That reminds me," Megumi said after taking a drink, "When will we get to meet your mother?"

"Er... Soon, hopefully." Kim averted her eyes before she took another bite.

Moments later, they were finished eating. Megumi gave a relieved sigh. "That hit the spot. So-" she turned to Dre, "where are we supposed to meet Katherine?"

"I guess in the foyer. Oh!" They walked out of the cafeteria and into the foyer, where Katherine stood against the wall beside the exit door, her arms across her chest. She looked distant, as if she had something on her mind. Once she looked at the group, however, she sobered up.

"Hey, Ke'Undre. Are you ready to go?"

He nodded. "Did you wait here long?"

"Nah. I just got here a few minutes ago. I don't believe I've been properly introduced to you two," she said, looking past Dre to Kim and Megumi. "I am Katherine Hernandez." She extended her hand to Kim.

"I'm Kim Stewart," she said as she shook Katherine's hand before she quickly glanced towards Megumi, casting a mischievous smile that didn't seem to fit her.

Megumi looked no better. She looked redder than Kim have ever seen her; her eyes were hazy and she appeared to be breathing harder than normal. "Megumi Gladestone," she spoke hesitantly as she shook Katherine's hand.

Dre, perplexed, arched an eyebrow as he looked at both Kim and Megumi. "Did you two just switch places or something?"

The four walked towards the golden entrance gate, comforted by the slight cool breeze blowing across the courtyard. After letting the gatekeeper know what they were planning, they walked out towards the city. "How did you do that?" Megumi asked. "I've been trying to convince them to let me explore the city since the first day of school."