Chapter 51

The Edge Walkers began convulsing uncontrollably. Their legs, torso, and arms began stretching like elastic; five blood-red claws began forming at their fingertips. Some began rising to their feet as if pulled by a rope. Two round, green eyes opened on the blank face before a green, jagged smile ripped across its jaw, sounding of paper being shredded apart. Chris cursed through his teeth. "If you guys got a plan, I'd love to hear it." At once, Loyalty roared as he rushed to them, slicing an Edge Walker from its shoulder to its hip.

"That's our cue!" Alisha called as the rest of the corpses' heads jerked towards them. The waves of Edge Walkers stood, running towards them with their arms pulled back, ready to swipe at them.

In a flash, the team fanned out, slashing at the black masses closing in on them. The gurgling cries of the Edge Walkers filled the air along with the roars from the group. Claws lashed out at Loyalty and Sakura, both of whom barely ducked out of the way before Sakura plunged her daggers through its neck. Loyalty followed up by decapitating an Edge Walker, pivoting on a foot while he spun the double-bladed sword, slicing through its midsection. The body melted into an inky puddle on the street, something that they've not been able to do before. Loyalty arched an eyebrow as he neared the mass to examine it.

"Loyalty!" he heard Sakura call. As he turned to her, an Edge Walker's arm stretched out towards him, swatting him away from the conflict. He harshly tumbled on the ground, repeating slamming his head and back on the pavement before smashing into the remains of a building, knocking the remaining air out of his lungs. Loyalty struggled to breathe, and struggled even more to raise his head. He was seeing double, but was able to focus enough to see that Sakura was surrounded, and even worse, the rest of his group was too preoccupied to assist her.

"S-Sakura," he croaked as he attempted to work his way to his feet. His head felt like a hornets nest; it felt like his lungs had clamps tightened too much to expand. Dizzy, he tried to walk to his weapon that seemed miles away from him. The Edge Walkers closed in on Sakura, some being frozen by her ice daggers, but nowhere near enough of them to keep her safe.

This wasn't good. The remaining Elemancers that were there prior to their involvement was probably too busy and too far away to even hear them fighting, let alone come to their aid. I have to get to Sakura. He hunched over, trying to ease the pain throbbing in his back knowing that he wouldn't be able to take in as much air. Each step felt as if he were dragging a wrecking ball chained to his ankles. His lungs burned with each labored breath. There was no way that he would get to his weapon in time, let alone get to her. He had only one opportunity, though with his exhaustion, there was a great chance that it would kill him. He'd use his element to create a stone barrier around her, his last defense for his beloved.

He raised his arm to her and closed his eyes. "Boreí oi fýlakes ti̱s fýsi̱s dínoun katafýgio-" Before he was able to finish his incantation, a blue orb circled Sakura, blocking the Edge Walker's bloody claws.

Loyalty could only watch in shock before he collapsed.

An Aether shield? Sakura stood breathless in the orb's protection with the Edge Walkers pounding on the outer wall, trying desperately to break in. A guttural cry sounded off to her immediate right; an Edge Walker laid against the shield, with a violet spear thrust through the back of its neck, jutting out of its mouth.

Alisha appeared out of the fray, grabbing the handle of the spear with both hands, and ripping off the inky head with ease. The riot shield strapped to her back defended her from an Edge Walker's claws. Snarling, she turned and lunged the spear into the monster's chest, vaulting it overhead into two other Edge Walkers behind her. "Are you okay in there, girl?" she called, killing another Edge Walker.