Chapter 62

Thunder boomed through the unknown city. Megumi stood at the opening of a dark and narrow alleyway, where two hooded people stood, one with a pistol aimed at her, the other had his pistol aimed at a bound Katherine. The rain poured, though Megumi didn't pay no attention to it. She had her eyes glued to the two hoodlums, glaring at them with her spear strapped to her back. Rain bled through her black hoodie, freezing once it hit her skin, though she still had her eyes on the two thugs.

"I'm surprised such a short girl like you managed to get to us," one of the hooded men sneered at her.

Megumi's eyebrow ticked. "So that's a second reason to kick your ass. You want to add on more reasons? Maybe want to insult Kat while you're at it?"

Katherine frowned, though Megumi could barely see it from the darkness of the alley. "Dude. Just save me already."

"Okay, okay. I don't even understand how you got in this situation anyway," she sighed as she tugged at her pink, padded gloves. "So, which one of you wants to feel the fury of this bite-sized badass?"

The hooded man holding his gun at her laughed. "You won't be saying that with two in the chest."

Megumi frowned. "Oh, to hell with it." She rushed down the alley. The hooded man fired and missed as Megumi sidestepped out the way. She heard the man curse as he fired again and again, missing each shot as Megumi swayed out of harm's way. She was in striking distance of the man and ducked as he lashed out with the gun and cracked his chin with an uppercut from the ground. In one swift motion, she drove her knee into his sternum, followed by an elbow to the back of his neck, making him crash face-first into the pavement. She grinned as she turned to the second assailant. "Your turn."

The second man cried out as he fired at her; the bullets slowed to a stop within inches of her before they clattered to the ground. "Thanks, Kat."

The man dropped his gun. "What? What the hell are you two?"

Megumi walked over to him. "Two women scorned." Sliding the spear from her back, she spun before smacking the side of his face, knocking him out cold.

"Thank you, Megumi," Katherine said as Megumi untied her. "You're my hero."

"Don't mention it. But if you could've used your element, why didn't you use it to untie yourself? How did you even get in this situation?"

Katherine shrugged. "I don't know. This is your dream, after all."

"Huh?"

The alarm clock blared the weather report through Megumi's room, though she didn't pay attention to it. She sat on the side of her bed and stretched before she quickly took a shower and got dressed up for her and Katherine's date. They decided to go to Hot Springs for mini-golf, laser tag, and go-karting. It didn't matter to Megumi where they went, though. She was just glad that they were dating.

The thing that worried her, though, was how she would tell her parents about her dating a woman. After hearing stories of parents' reactions to this kind of news, she wasn't sure how they would take it, or even if they'd still love her. She couldn't think of that now, however. She had to worry about how the date would turn out.

Megumi heard her phone buzz on her counter as she brushed her hair. She picked it up and answered. "Hello?"

"Hey, dude. Ready for today?" she heard Katherine say on the other end. She could tell by the way she sounded that she had just woken up.

"Almost. I'm brushing my hair. Just wake up?"

She groaned over the phone. "Yeah. I had a really weird dream, too. I was kidnapped by these two hoodlums and you came in and saved me."