Chapter 21

Of course, I wouldn't be able to sleep. Toney perched himself up on his bed, thoughts rushing though his mind like a raging river. This was the first that he'd heard of an Edge Walker attack in modern times, and with it appearing on the news, local or not, fear began invading his mind. If the Humans found out about the Amians, there's no telling how catastrophic it would be. He slid his phone out from his pocket and began dialing Christan's number. He had to know just how far the Edge Walker's reaches had gone.

After two rings, a man's voice had answered. "Haywood's pad. This is Christan."

"Christan? It's Toney. I didn't wake you, did I?"

"Oh! Morning dude. I was just going to hit the waves for a bit. You know it's never too early to hit the water."

"I should've known that you would," Toney said with a grin. "Have you watched the news recently?"

"Just about every day, man. What's up?"

"Something big. Very big. I think this situation may be over our heads."

"Hmm. That doesn't sound good. What's the problem?"

"An Edge Walker was just recorded on the news. That, and an Amian was on footage killing it. I just got off with the president, so we should still be concealed. Ichi's looking in on this as well. Have there been anything on your end about this?"

Christan yawned before he said, "Not that I know of. The internet's gonna go nuts over this stuff, though. If you've already talked to the president about this, then the video will easily be covered. I'll keep an eye on this end of the coast."

"Thanks. I'll probably hold a conference with the Apprentices about this today." Toney sighed as he swung his feet off the bed. "For now, I'll spend as much time with the family as I can. The upcoming war may be the worst one yet."

~~~~~

"Dude, you're too good," Dre said after receiving his third game over. Michael had yet to lose a life. Not only that, he was speeding through the game as if he had the full game memorized. "How many times have you played this?"

"This is my first time playing," Michael said as he blazed through the third level in possibly record breaking time.

"You could've fooled me." Dre looked over to Kimmy, holding the controller in front of her. "Wanna play?"

"Eh... I'll pass," she said, gently pushing his hands back. "I've had a long history with this game, and I'd rather not reopen old wounds."

Tilting his head, Dre asked, "Too hard?"

"Much."

"It's probably a good thing that you didn't play him, Gumi," Tiffany said, looking enthralled at Michael's gaming skills. "This looks more like a speed-run than watching a person play for the first time. And you said it was enhanced reflexes, Michael?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"Might I ask how you were able to enhance them so far? Reflexes such as those stretch farther than any other human that I've met."

For the first time, Michael had lost a life from getting shot by a turret. He paused, seemingly distracted by something. "It's... a personal story. I'd rather keep it to myself." And with that, he began playing again.

"Aw, come on man," Dre groaned. "You've been so secretive with us since we've met you. I mean, we don't even know your last name yet."

"It's Eagle," Keiko said with a cheerful demeanor.