Chapter 99

Two days had passed since the Emblem of Valor tournaments, two days since the invasion on Reiax Academy. Everyone except for Dre had skipped school the day after, most likely getting over a hangover. It made Dre glad to be drug-free. "Wow. You guys actually made it today," Dre said as he walked into the mostly empty cafeteria.

"I don't think I'm ever drinking again," Kim said with her head resting on her hands. Dre rubbed her back. "I felt so awful yesterday."

"Same here," Keiko added, not touching her pizza bagel. "We weren't even of age."

"Yeah, but does Human law apply to you if you aren't Human?" Michael pondered.

"I hope not. I already feel bad enough."

"Lightweights," Megumi scoffed, running her hair through her now black hair. Seeing her with black hair would take some getting used to. "You gotta learn to handle your alcohol."

"Oh, that was why you were barely standing up straight at the party. You were just handling your alcohol," Dre chided.

"Don't get snippy with me, you square," Megumi interjected.

"Hey, I'm just saying. Besides, you should be glad that graduation wasn't yesterday."

"And the last day of school down here," Michael interjected.

"Not that it matters, since someone got us in trouble. I wanted to explore Amity some more."

"Whatever, dude. At least you got the Suscéptor now," Megumi retorted.

The bell toned, signaling the beginning of their last day of classes for the year, though it wouldn't make a difference considering that the students would either be in the gym all day, or in one of the classrooms with their game systems and the faculty televisions. After everything that's happened this year, Dre figured he needed a day to relax.

They left the cafeteria. A cool breeze through the warm spring air. Dre stretched his arms above his head as he inhaled through his nose so deep that it almost hurt. He exhaled through his nose with a satisfied grin. "Ah. Aw yeah. I freaking love spring. So, where are you guys gonna go?"

Megumi inclined a brow as she looked at Dre. "What do you mean? We've got classes, remember?"

"Not today. Most likely, if you try to go to class, you probably won't even find the teacher," Keiko answered.

"Wait, seriously?"

"That depends on who you go to," Michael stated. "I'm thinking about going to the football stadium. I'll most likely get some peace and quiet there."

Dre groaned, "Aw, come on, man. You're always going somewhere to get away from the group. Why not come with us to the gym?"

"Who said that 'we' were going to the gym?" Megumi said.

"Do you have anywhere else to go?"

Megumi frowned. "Well, I can't go home. Dad stayed there to write his speech for our graduation." She gave a frustrated sigh as she said, "There'd better be something to do there."

"When do you not have something to do there?" Kim asked.

"Yeah, yeah."

The crew suddenly stopped in the middle of the parking lot, each just as shocked as the next, as they saw Samantha standing in front of them. Her blond hair and white summer dress drifted through the slight breeze as she looked regretfully at the team. Suddenly, Dre was pushed behind them as Kim, Keiko, Michael, and Megumi created a wall in front of them, each ready for a fight. Samantha put her hands in front of her, looking as if she was desperately trying to say something. After burrowing through the bag, she pulled out a green notebook and shoved it in Megumi's hands. She looked back at Samantha suspiciously. "What's this all about?"

Samantha motioned her to flip through the notebook.

Hesitantly, Megumi flipped the cover of the notebook. "It's a letter."

"What does it say?" Kim asked.

"It's pretty long. Let's see. I was hoping that I'd be able to run into you guys altogether. I didn't come here to fight. Besides, if I did, I wouldn't be able to defend myself. After I broke the contract with Aggaron, he gave me back my freedom, and in return, he took my voice. Without my voice, I'm as defenseless as a newborn. But that's not why I've come here today. I've come here to apologize. I wasn't myself, and hadn't been for a long time. Ever since I learned that I was a Siren, I wanted more and more power. But in my search for power, I lost what was actually important to me, and I separated Dre with his best friends. Not only that, but I used Dre, someone who'd showed me such kindness when I didn't deserve it. I don't expect for you to accept my apology, but I want you to know, all of you, that it's from the deepest part of my heart." The team looked back up at Samantha, hesitant on what would happen next. Dre couldn't count how long they'd been there, waiting for someone to do something. Samantha solemnly lowered her head as she took the notebook back and began walking back to her car.

Kim looked at Dre, then at Megumi. "Dude, are you-" Before she could finish, Kim rushed towards Samantha. The rest of the team followed.

"Samantha, wait," Kim called. Samantha's head raised as she turned towards the crew. "Were you really sincere about your apology?" Samantha nodded, misty-eyed. After looking back at the group again, Kim walked forward and wrapped her arms around Samantha, who looked too shocked to do anything. "I forgive you," she said in Samantha's shoulder.

A tear fell down Samantha's cheek as Kim released her. "Well?" Kim asked as she looked at the rest of the team.

Keiko walked forward. "If Kim can forgive you, then I will too." She looked at Michael expectantly. "Your turn."

"Countless lives have been lost because of your hands. Innocent lives," Michael said, his arms across his chest. "It'll be next to impossible for me to forgive you." Samantha grimaced. Sighing, Michael continued as he looked in the sky. "But, I don't have much of a choice but to try."

Samantha smiled, but her smile wavered as she looked towards Megumi, who still looked unconvinced. The rest of the team stared at her, waiting for her answer. Frowning, her eyes darted from person to person. "Okay, okay. I'll forgive her if you just quit eyeballing me."

"We will," Kim stated. "Ke'Undre?"

Dre flinched as everyone awaited his answer. Michael was right; it would be next to impossible to forgive her, especially after all that she put him through. But, with Kim there looking at him, he didn't have a choice. Sometimes, being a good person was a chore. He frowned as he said, "It'll take a while, but I'll try. What's going to happen to you, anyway?"

Samantha flipped though her notebook before she held it towards Dre. "I'll most likely be executed. I had to beg Queen Melody to have permission to come down here. She said that since I don't have my voice, I will no longer be a threat to humanity. Oh. I'm sorry I asked." She gestured him to turn the page. He flipped it and continue reading. "It'll be okay. I still have a chance to at least be exiled from the Serene Territory. If that happens, I'll at least be able to live like a normal human."

"Who knows? They'll probably show some mercy on you," Megumi suggested.

"At any rate, I hope for the best," Dre grinned. Samantha gave a small smile before she grabbed her notebook and walked back to her car.