Chapter 58

With a gasp, Dre's eyes shot open. He saw nothing but a mirrored world, standing on a liquid-like reflective ground. Groaning, Dre firmly rubbed his face. "If you're going to take me out of class, at least warn me, Hiro."

"I'm afraid you are mistaken," a low, suave female's voice stated from behind him. Shock and panic filled his psyche as he turned, seeing a silvery-blue phoenix staring at him with sky-blue eyes. Flames flowed from the bird's wings. When she spoke, her beak didn't move. "It's an honor to meet you, Ke'Undre Wolf. I am the Elder Sage of Flames." She bowed at him.

Dre looked at the top of the beast's head. Both alarm and confusion rushed through him. "What's going on here? Why am I in the World Where Titan's Sleep? Where's Hiro?"

"That is not important. What is important is that an artifact for you has been found. One that would deem useful to you for your future endeavors."

Dre cocked his head. "I don't know if I should buy into this story. I've been the King for about four months now, and I've never heard of any Elder Sages. How do I know that you're not just Aggaron in disguise?"

The Sage chuckled. "Oh yes. I remember Aggaron. However, that is a story for a later time. I can assure to you that I am to be trusted. You weren't told about us because it was not time for you to hear about us. Not until you were ready to receive our blessings for you."

"Does this mean I'm ready for your blessing?" Dre asked, his eyes shining.

The Elder Sage closed her eyes thoughtfully for a moment. Silence filled the windless air, save the Sages low murmuring. Dre's heart pounded in his chest as he awaited the Sage's answer.

"Not even close, young one."

"Aw man," Dre pouted. "Then what about all of that 'future endeavors' stuff?"

Sighing, the Sage patiently said, "First, you should work on respecting your elders, boy. Second, while this isn't a blessing from us, I believe you'll be quite pleased with your gift."

"Gift?" He instantly perked up. "Where is it?" The Sage inclined her head to Dre's arm.

At once, Dre looked down at his arm, seeing a cyan, transparent bracelet around his wrist. It shone brightly, almost as if it were made of the same material as the Suscéptor. Dre raised an eyebrow. The Elder Sage decided to take me out of class just for a bracelet? "Thanks, but I'm not much of a jewelry type of guy."

The Elder Sage crouched low, her blue eyes rolled into the back of her head as lightning chirped loudly, sparking from the sides of her beak. The Sage inhaled before she opened her mouth, expelling a beam of lightning towards Dre.

Dre cried out as the electricity charged towards him. He held his hands in front of him and gasped as the lightning collided with a transparent, crystal-like shield hovering in front of him. "Is this... the Suscéptor?"

"No. This is the Amyntikós, the King's shield; a shield capable of taking the shape of any shield in existence. This particular artifact is different from the Suscéptor, as you can choose who would be able to wield its power. There is, of course, a catch. You cannot have anyone that is blood related to you take control of it, nor can you let multiple people wield it. Only one who shares a strong bond with you can claim this awesome might."

Dre felt his heart in his throat as he grabbed the smooth shield. It was in the shape of a cross, with the bottom sharpened enough to be used as a blade. Sliding his arms through the straps, he looked up at the Sage. "You know, could've just explained what this was for without trying to kill me?"