VII

Maxine

I sat in the window seat watching the woods each night. I haven't dared to venture into the trees since I found that house. It was so unsettling. Whoever built it didn't want others to know about it.

But why was it built?

Every time I thought about it, I thought about the bare mattress and the possibility of some young girl tied up and forced...

I used the computer in the basement to email my mother.

Once I finished that, I laid on the bed, bored.

I wanted to read, I wanted to go out and shop with my friends, I wanted to sun bathe and swing in the park...

I wanted to go home.

Julie gave me her library card to use.

The town's library was two stories and made from old brick. The inside was dark save for the entrance room which had floor to ceiling stain glass windows that painted the old wood inside brilliant colors.

After finding the adult section, I skimmed over book titles. I pulled a few mysteries, a few horror, and a few regular fiction. Then I went to the front desk and asked for the records on the town. I wanted to know what was up with the random ass forest and the wolves.

One of the librarians led me to a room on the second floor with huge floor-to-ceiling bookshelves and a few filing cabinets. In the center there was a long dark oak table where one other sat.

"If you have any questions, just ask." She smiled and walked out.

Where to begin?

The town was first settled by Native American tribes and has since been mixed with the Melting Pot Americans. The wolves came as more Native tribes were emigrated. They've been a non-threatening animal since, with only a few known cases where they've attacked humans—but only after being provoked.

This tells me nothing of what I wanted to know.

I sighed and grabbed my library books.

As I was checking them out, I heard a slightly familiar laugh.

I sighed.

"Maxine," Felix smiled at me. Pearly whites. "I didn't think you were the type to read."

"Don't judge a book by its cover."

Felix nodded. "Right. Of course." He paused. "So, what are you doing tomorrow night?" He raised his eyebrows.

"Nothing... Why...?"

"Well, my friend Emmett is having a bonfire with the rest of the family and the gang and I thought since you're new to town that maybe it'd be a good opportunity for you to meet some more people?"

I shrugged. "I don't know. A bonfire?"

"You're from, what, New York City? How many honest-to-God bonfires have you had? Ones that were taller than you by far and kept burning until midafternoon the next day, hm?"

"Chicago," I corrected, then exhaled. "Okay. Sure. I'll go. Here," I grabbed a pen from my purse and wrote my number down on Felix's hand. "Text me, okay?"

Felix smiled. "Okay."

I picked up my books and walked out.