LXIX

Felix

I was right behind Maxine as she went inside her home. I caught the door just as she was pulling it shut.

"What's your problem, Max?!" I was already raising my voice, a tactic that never helps an argument, but something we can't ever seem to control.

"What's my problem? She's not one of us, Felix!" Now Maxine started to yell. If Julie is home, she'll be listening in wherever she is. "She's never going to be one of us."

"Yeah, if you never give her the chance! Christ, Max, you know why she left?"

Maxine crossed her arms. "No, I don't. Enlighten me." Her voice was dripping with sarcasm. I didn't like this side of her.

"She had been raped by him for years. And verbally and physically abused by him. A person can only take so much," I said, trying to lower my voice.

"So, what? Is she just going to sleep on the couch forever? Because none of us are ready to clean out the garage. And all the other rooms are full."

"We can figure it out, Max. But I can't stand to see you so... boorish around Jac. She's done nothing to wrong you. And you have no reason to be jealous, if that's what it is. She's practically my family now, and I need you to be civil with her."

Maxine bit her lip, her eyes watering. "She's not the only one who's gone through some tough shit, Felix."

"I know that, Max, and I'm not saying she is. We've all been through some tough stuff." I took a step closer.

"Just leave, Felix." Maxine turned and ran upstairs.

Julie peeked around the corner and I hung my head.

"She'll come around, Felix." Julie said.

I looked up, gave a smile, and walked out the door.

I waited at home until it was late into the night. I left the house and shifted into the cover of the night, running to Max's house. Walking out of the forest, I looked up at her window, the curtains barely lit. She's either awake with a lamp on, or asleep with one on.

I jogged to under her window, a few feet back from the house and grabbed a small rock. I threw it at the window, the rock—more of a pebble—made a small tink against the glass. I found another and threw it at the window again. Tink. I threw a few more then paused.

The curtain pulled back and Max opened the window. "What the hell are you doing?"

"I wanted to see you."

"And texting me was out of the question?"

I shrugged. "Stand back and I'll come up." Max moved and I got a running start, scaling the house, my fingers latching onto the windowsill. I pulled myself up and through into her room. I stood up and smiled at her.

"Such a cliché," Max said.

I shrugged. "Most guys I know can't climb up into a window like that."

"Why are you here, Felix?"

I grabbed her face with my hands, pulling her gently to my lips. "I love you, Maxine Clarke," I said, kissing her again.

"Felix," she pushed me away.

"Maxine,"

I kissed her, moving back to her bed. She laid down, putting a hand on my chest. "Felix, are you sure? You're not just doing this just so I'm not mad at you, right?"

"Maxine, a few days ago, we were going to do this then we were interrupted. I'm just starting where we left off."

"Why do you call me Maxine?"

"Because it's your name."

She kissed me and I started to take off her shirt.