LXXVI

Maxine

I followed Felix down the trail we hadn't been down in ages. It was getting dark and I wanted to go back up to the house. But he had a surprise he just had to show me. The path was starting to get overgrown, but it wasn't horrible. You could tell someone had come down recently and cleared out some of the weeds and grass.

"Close your eyes." Felix said to me, and I raised an eyebrow.

"I saw that movie, it didn't end well."

"Just close your eyes, and trust me." I did as Felix said and he guided me along the path, whispering to me every few steps to watch out for a branch or a dip or a rise. It felt stupid, walking along so blindly.

"Okay, open."

I opened my eyes and let out a little gasp.

Between four trees was one huge tent, with two lawn chairs in front and lights strung between the branches above. A few lanterns were lit and setting in various locations around the site, a few lit inside the tent too.

"No shoes inside the tent," Felix said. "I hope you don't mind."

I kissed Felix. "This is great."

"There's a shorter path around the back of the tent that leads up to the house for the bathroom. I didn't expect you to completely camp out here."

I laughed. "Felix, no this is wonderful."

I sat down in the lawn chair and watched as Felix started a small fire. The sun had set behind the trees by the time the fire had really started. The temperature didn't drop much, but a soft breeze took over that make me cold.

Felix kept up with the fire for a while, but then started to let it die.

"Summer's ending." I said. "I'm going back home soon."

"I know." Felix said somberly.

"This is the best summer I've ever had." I said. And I meant it. Summers back in Chicago were never that great. Mom would send me to a Boys and Girls club and we'd go to the pool so often but my "friends" were always mean to me at the pool. Plus everyone at the club treated me like a stranger.

Once, one of our consolers was showing off her belly button ring, which I did not think was appropriate at all. Even as a kid I knew that. I don't think I ever told anyone that.

I leaned my head on Felix's shoulder and shut my eyes. Felix kissed me. He dropped his voice to a whisper. "Wanna see inside the tent?"

I smiled.

I followed Felix. Inside there wasn't much room, couldn't even stand up all the way. Felix sat down on the air mattress first. "Okay, listen, this can't be..." he let out a breath, trying to find the right words to use. "If I get too worked up, then I'll shift. And that would be very bad."

Felix's face lit in a slight blush that grew as he tried to explain himself. I pressed my lips to his, quieting his sputtering. "Felix, I get it. We've got to take it slow. Keep it slow. Just... safe word if things get too heated."

He quirked an eyebrow. "A safe word? Do you expect things to get... heated?"

I laughed lightly. "It's not a bad idea. Just think of one. I'll let you decide."

He thought for a second. "Red."

"Okay. Red."

We sat there for a few seconds in silence.

I looked down at my hands folded in my lap. "Are we really going to do this?" I looked up at him. "I mean, I know that this is... dangerous for you, and for me, and I don't want you to do anything you don't want to."

"Normally the guy is saying that,"

"Shut up." I paused. "But seriously. It'll be your first time, and..."

"Are you implying you are not a virgin?"

I laughed. "You know I'm not."

Felix smiled. "I feel like we're talking too much."

I nodded. Felix put his hand on my cheek, timid. This was uncharted territory for the both of us. He kissed me and I kissed him. I was nervous, and he was nervous. And then we stopped kissing because it didn't feel right.

We sat there looking at each other, both suddenly unsure if this would actually happen. Felix whispered. "Okay," he leaned over and dimmed the lantern. I felt his hands at my waist, slowly pulling off my shirt. Then his hands were gone and I heard his shirt drop to the floor of the tent. When he spoke again, he was still whispering. "Okay. Your turn."

My hands were shaking as I fumbled with his belt and then the button on his pants. When they finally came off, I was thankful for the dark surrounding us. I unbuttoned my shorts and slid them and my underwear off.

"Okay." I was whispering now too. I felt around for his hand, and held it. I scooted closer to him. Our legs were touching, and just barely.

I can't do this.

"Felix, I'm sorry."

I stood up and fumbled around for my shirt and pants. "I can't do this. Not now, at least. I'm sorry." I felt bad, but I couldn't. The timing was off, and we were both uncomfortable.

Felix let out a breath.

I turned on my phone to check the time and was blinded by the brightness of the screen. It was much later than I thought. "We should just sleep."

Felix nodded. "Yeah, okay."

I laid down on the air mattress and curled under the sheets. Felix's arm wrapped around me and I fell asleep.

Something woke me up in the middle of the night. I whispered Felix's name.

"Yeah?"

"You're awake?"

He cleared his throat. "Yeah."

I turned around so I was facing him. I kissed him. "What woke you?"

He shrugged. "I'm not sure."

"Yeah, same." I rolled so I was sitting on top of Felix. I leaned over and kissed him. "This is really nice." I said, my lips brushing against his jawline. "Thanks for doing it." I kissed his neck.

"No problem." Felix smiled at me. I looked at him and he pushed a stray piece a hair back behind my ear. "You look beautiful."

I kissed his lips and started to pull off his shirt. He pulled off mine and slipped off his pants and I slipped off mine. He paused. "Ready?"

I took a deep breath. "Ready." I kissed him.