LXXV

Felix

I haven't completely forgiven her. But this can't go on any longer. I love her, and she's made a mistake. I can't keep going on like this with her.

I was sleeping, when something woke me. I can't say what, but some unknown force woke me. My phone was face up on the end table, charging, the screen lit. I picked it up. One missed call. One new voicemail.

I listened to the voicemail.

Then I called her.

"Hey, Max,"

There was silence on the other end and I wasn't sure she had actually picked up. I couldn't imagine that she'd already be asleep. I opened my mouth to say something again, but she spoke.

"Hey, Felix,"

"Maxine, I forgive you."

I heard her voice catch in her throat. "Felix, I'm so sorry,"

"Maxine, stop. I forgive you."

There was a long pause. "This is Felix, right? Greyson calls me Maxine. Felix calls me Max." Another pause.

"Max. I forgive you." I stood up and flipped on a lamp. "Max. Maxine. Maxie. Maximus." I pulled on my shoes and a pair of jeans. "Whatever the hell you go by. I go by Felix. Max calls me Fe on the occasion." I grabbed a shirt and pulled the phone away from my cheek long enough to put it on. "I've never gone by Greyson, mostly because he's my bastard brother.

"I'm in love with this girl, and she kind of messed up, but I still love her," I grabbed my car keys and went upstairs. "And uh, I'm getting ready to head over to her place now. And it is late, so I shouldn't be on my phone, so I'm going to hang up, but I hope my girlfriend is ready for me in a few."

"Felix?"

"Goodbye, Max," I hung up and started the car.

She cried once I got there. We sat on the couch in the living room, Maxine sipping on peppermint tea I made for her, and we talked. We talked well into the morning, the conversation breaking off when Julie came down from the stairs.

"You two are up early,"

Maxine yawned. "Felix was just leaving,"

I stood up. "That's right," I leaned over and kissed her on the cheek. "I'll talk to you later," I said goodbye to Julie and left the house.

I dreamt.

It was Maxine and I and we were kissing and them she started to take off my shirt and then my pants and then her clothing was off and then in that moment we were so close, emotionally and physically. I felt invincible in a way, like no matter what nothing would take me away from Maxine. My heart was beating, faster and faster. Too fast, it felt.

Then I shifted.

Maxine screamed and my claws dug in her skin. I felt like the monster I really was then, hurting Maxine again because of something I couldn't control.

I backed away, into the corner of the room, feeling small and frightened. I shifted back and pulled my knees up to my chest, tucking my head down and rocking. Only slightly. Listening to Maxine cry in the background.

I woke up in a start, just like they do in the movies. Sitting straight up in my bed, breathing heavy, and unable to fall asleep again.