XXV

Maxine

I showered in the morning and got dressed. I pulled on running shoes and pulled my hair into a pony tail. As I passed Julie out the door, I told her I was going for a run.

I jogged down the driveway and down a dirt road that I knew went towards town. After thirty minutes, my legs were screaming and my lungs needed air. I'm horrible at jogging, yet I still go. I don't know why.

I slowed to a fast walk, then to a slow walk.

Then my phone buzzed.

I pulled it out of my back pocket and looked at the screen. A call from Felix. He left a voicemail:

"Hey, Maxie—does anyone ever call you that? Maxie?—anyway, I thought I'd call and see how you were doing after last night? It's kind of a crazy thing to digest. I'm sure you've got a billion more questions to ask of me, so go ahead and ask away. We can meet up somewhere. But I've got to work until two, so really any time after that I'm free. Annnnyway. Just call. Or text. Or drop by the diner. Tea is on me. See ya!"

I smiled and walked back towards Julie's.

I knocked on the door to Felix's home, feeling awkward as ever standing on the front porch. I felt like I was ten again, trying to sell Girl Scout cookies that were way overpriced.

Bloom answered the door, smiling at me. "What's up, Buttercup?"

I smiled. "Is Felix here?"

"Sorry. Not yet." Bloom looked at the time on her watch. I caught a glimpse of the face. Roman numerals. Classy. "He should be here soon though. Would you like to come in?"

I smiled. "Sure."

Bloom held the door open for me as I stepped through. She walked to the kitchen and I followed, sitting down at the island. She opened up a cupboard and pulled down a mug. "I was just going to make myself some tea. Would you like some?"

"Sure."

Bloom brought down another mug and sat it down on the counter. She filled up a tea kettle with water and set it on the stove. It was cast iron, a light blue color, and a classic style. Bloom leaned on the counter beside the stove.

"What brought you here? Here to Pleasant Ridge?"

"My mom's mom lives here. My mom grew up here and thought that a summer away from the city would be a good idea. So I'm here."

"City to here? You must be bored out of your mind. I know I was when I first moved here. But," Bloom shrugged, "It's got a little something for everyone."

"You didn't grow up here?"

Bloom shook her head. "I grew up in Colorado."

"You moved here for Emmett so he could be close to his father?"

She nodded. "It's kind of nice. Emmett and I have our own space downstairs and we can still watch Caven and Felix and Ronnie and Wane."

I smiled. "So are you and Emmett married, then?"

The tea kettle started to screech and Bloom took it off the burner. "Yeah. We were married for two years when we moved here. Been married for... five now. Wow. Doesn't seem that long."

"This is going to sound rude, and I really don't want to sound rude... But how old are you?"

"It's not rude. I'm twenty-three. What type of tea do you want? We've got lemon and peach and peppermint..."

"Earl Grey?"

Bloom smiled. "Always." She handed me my mug and I bobbed the tea bag up and down. I'm a lazy brewer.

The door opened and I turned around. Felix walked through and gave me a confused, but happy look. "What are you doing here?"

I smiled. "Waiting. Talking. I almost like Bloom more than I like you." I took a sip of my tea.

Felix gave Bloom a sideways look. "Bloom, please, don't charm all of my girlfriends. It's highly annoying." Felix looked at me and smirked. "And as for you: give me a minute to change and I'll be right back." He kissed my forehead and went to his room.

I smiled at Bloom. "'Charm all of his girlfriends'? I highly doubt that has happened. You're just my type of person."

Bloom smiled and took a sip of her tea. "Thank you."

Felix put his hands on my shoulders and squeezed playfully. "Shall we?"

I smiled at Felix, then smiled at Bloom. "Weshall."