XXX

Felix

Ronnie is scheming. I hear her up late in the night, talking on the phone. I hear her leave in the middle of the night, her howl echoing through the still night air. I feel her unhappiness.

I only wonder what it all means.

Maxine is comfortable here, and that makes me happy.

We were sitting around the table—Maxine, Wane, Emmett, Bloom, Caven, and myself—playing poker. No one knew who was winning, not even Wane, who normally cared so much about who's ahead.

It was fun.

Then.

Ronnie came out of her room, bitching up a storm. She went around the living room, throwing her things into a backpack. "I can't take any of you any longer!" She yelled.

Bloom stood. "Ronnie, honey, what's up? What's wrong?"

"You all! We are wolves believe it or not, and yet we sit here in the goddamn house pretending we're human. Hell, Felix is dating a human! Do you know how humiliating that is? Have we seriously lost touch of our nature so much to date humans?! No. Fuck that. I'm leaving."

Bloom shot Emmett a helpless look. Emmett stood. "Ronnie, where are you going to go?"

Ronnie looked right at me. "Greyson Vince Sloan."

I felt my teeth start to grind. "Are you stupid?!" I stood up. "You're leaving us, here, where we love you, for those heartless bastards?"

"Fe," Maxine stood up, placing her hand on my elbow.

"No, you know what? You go. And you tell my brother that he can go to hell. Tell him that if he doesn't treat you well I will find out and I will make him sorry."

Ronnie stopped and smirked. "At least one of the Sloan twins put out." She grabbed her bags and walked out the door, Emmett calling after her.

A rage started to build up inside of me, bubbling and boiling over. "That fucking slut!" I chucked whatever was in my hand at the wall.

There on the ground in a million piece, was the remnants of what once a family photo. Emmett, Bloom. Caven, myself. And Ronnie.

"Felix?" Maxine stood in front of me, taking myshaky hands in hers.