XI

Maxine

When I woke in the morning, the faint smell of pastries was in the air. I grabbed my throw blanket and walked downstairs.

"Julie, you don't always have to make something for breakfast..." I said as I walked around the corner.

"Well, uh, last time I checked I am not Julie,"

I glanced up at the voice. It was Felix. "Oh my god!" I put my hands up to my face. "Feelix..." I turned around. "Gaw! What are you doing here?"

"I decided to come over and make you breakfast. How's scones and coffee sound?"

"Felix, I look horrible. I don't have on any makeup, I haven't showered yet..."

"Hey, Maxine. I don't care. Now come sit down and have some British pastries."

I turned around and put my hands down. Felix held out the plate of scones to me. I took one and took a small bite. "Mmmm," I shut my eyes, holding the warm pastry in my hands.

Felix handed me a mug with cream colored coffee in it. It smelled like hazelnut. I took a sip. "Jesus Christ, Fe," I took another bite of the stone. I then sat down on the kitchen counter. "You shouldn't spoil me like this, Felix."

Felix took a bite of a scone. "I'm not spoiling anyone."

I rolled my eyes. "Where's Julie?"

"She's in the garden. You know, gardening."

I nodded, smiling. "Ready to answer questions then?"

Felix frowned. "Right. Uh. Okay, what's your first question then?"

I sat down my coffee. "Well, uh... Where did you run off to?"

Felix took a deep breath. "Uh, well, I went to deal with my brother." Felix leaned against the counter across from me. He poured more coffee.

"You have a brother?"

Felix nodded. "Yeah. A twin."

"Does he have the same eyes as you?" I asked, standing up. I put my hands on his cheeks, looking right into his grey eyes. "Wait here." I let go and hurried upstairs. Sitting on the desk in my room was the picture of the wolf's eyes.

I ran back downstairs and held the photo up to Felix's face, right beside his eyes. They had to be the same, there was no doubt.

"I don't get it, Felix," I took the photo away from his face and turned around. "Is your brother a wolf?"

"What other questions do you have?" Felix stood up and took the photo from me. "Any questions about anything else besides my brother?"

I nodded. "Who's Ronnie?"

Felix sighed. "Uh, Ronnie is...

"Okay, so I'll start with me. My brother and I had a falling out and I found Bloom and Emmett and they kind of took me in. I wasn't the first person they took in. Ronnie was.

I nodded. "What's Ronnie's story? She was talking about me loving you? I mean, I like you. You're my friend. But... love?"

"She's a druggy."

I raised an eyebrow. "Suuurrrree."

"Any others?"

I nodded. "Can I go get dressed?"

Felix smiled. "Go ahead."

I smiled and hurried upstairs, throwing on a black and grey baseball t-shirt and shorts. Walking out of my room, I heard a soft piano melody. As I walked downstairs the song got louder.

In the formal dining room, Felix sat at the piano, his fingers moving over the keys. His body was slightly swaying along as he played, his eyes closed, totally developed in the song.

When he finished, he held the last cord and opened his eyes.

I clapped and he smiled.

"What song was that?" I asked.

"Memories, by Clint Mansell." He said, starting to pull the cover back over the white keys.

I sat down on the bench, stopping him from closing the cover. "Will you teach me?"

"Teach you?"

I nodded. "Teach me how to play something on the piano." I said, looking up at him. I stuck out my lower lip just a little.

Felix sighed. "Scoot over."

I smiled as Felix sat down. He took a deep breath. "Can you read sheet music?"

I nodded.

"Okay." He pointed to a key on the piano. "This is middle C. It's kind of a big deal..."