LXXIX

Felix

I snarled as I looked towards my brother. He sat there, pompous and overflowing with arrogance. His mind was already made up about the outcome of this fight. They would win and we would lose. It was surprising to see Ronnie, like a punch in the gut. Even in her wolf form, she looked so different.

Before she left, she wasn't big, but she wasn't a skinny little twig. She was beautiful, in her own way. Her presents took up a space of its own. She was... stately. But looking at her now, she was scrawny. And wired. She was jittering, and you could tell she was just waiting to dig her teeth into someone. It made me nervous.

Mom. Dad. They were here, both looking the same as they always have. They looked ready for the fight too.

And then there was Greyson. He started to talk to me, only me.

"Brother, you've come to kill me."

"We've tried to reason," I say. "But you're unreasonable."

"Mom always thought that I would outlive you," he paused. "And Mom is always right."

I bared my teeth at him, the crouched low to the ground. Greyson did the same, still smirking. I pounced, landing on my brother and starting this war. Emmett and Dad went at it, Bloom and my mother against each other. Jac fought Emerson, leaving Maxine to fight Ronnie. That made me nervous.

Emmett took a bite out of my dad, and he howled. Now angry, Dad attacked Emmett, dragging his claws on Emmett's snout. Emmett was pinned, and kicked Dad off of him.

Bloom was trying to take it easy. None of this would be good for the baby. I hated that she was forced to be in this position. I hate that she wouldn't stay home. "My husband is fighting in this. I will too." Mom landed a kick at Bloom's stomach, and Bloom's eyes went wide as she clutched her gut.

Jac put up a good fight against Emerson. But Emerson was still fighting hard. Jac was just fighting harder. More determined.

Maxine was losing against Ronnie. Ronnie is bigger than Maxine, and with the ability to shift so quickly, she had Maxine beat. Ronnie swung at Maxine and hit her jaw, sending Maxine to the ground. Ronnie started to kick Maxine's side, screaming at her. "You're a bitch! He's mine!" Maxine curled into a ball, trying to protect herself while Ronnie kept at it. Maxine coughed up blood and then I couldn't take it anymore.

I turned away from Greyson and pounced on Ronnie, tearing my claws into her human skin. Ronnie screamed and I bit into her neck trying so hard to stop her. I wanted her dead. But I also wanted her alive. I wanted her to be on our side.

Ronnie fell over, passing out—diffidently not dead.

Maxine looked up at me, then screamed and pointed behind my back. "Felix!"

I turned just as Greyson jumped and tore me to the ground, barely missing Maxine. Bloom appeared out of nowhere and pulled Maxine away.

I pushed Greyson off of me, getting a second to look around at the carnage. Jac was gone, her head bashed in, lying face down in a pool of her own blood. Emerson was panting hard above her, his teeth stained crimson. Emmett was still fighting against my father, but my father was losing. Down he went, his body folding in on itself as the muscles went limp. My father is now dead. Ronnie is alive, but passed out. That leaves Greyson, Bloom, Maxine, Emmett, Mom, Emerson, and me. Why did it feel like we lost so much more?