LXXVII

Felix

Greyson lost his virginity at fourteen. I know this because of the goddamn telepic connection we have. It's hard to describe the feeling that comes over us, but it's very distinct.

It was in the middle of the night, and he had been dating this sixteen year old for a while and I woke up with this feeling. Relief, but tension. Light as air, but heavy as a rock. I felt healthy, but then felt sick. Mostly, though, I felt disgusted. But not because of the feeling, because of Greyson.

I woke up, now, rushing to get out of the tent. I went a few feet into the woods and threw up, holding onto a thin tree for support. I heaved again, and again, and couldn't figure out what was wrong with me.

It's not because of Maxine is it?

I had never heard of this happening before. It never happened with Greyson, and as far as I know it never happened with Emmett and Bloom.

I texted Maxine from my position in the woods to tell her I was heading up to the house. I shifted and ran as far as I could before leaning over and hurling. I shook it off and jogged the rest of the way to the house and shifted back. I went straight to the bathroom, threw up, and poured a glass of water from the sink. I drank some.

I was worried about getting dehydrated, but before I could worry too much, I fell asleep, a cup in my hand, the bathroom light on, and leaning against the wall.

The next morning, I felt better, and went back down to the tent. I had changed clothes and showered.

"I got your text," Maxine said groggily, her voice hoarse.

"Yeah, sorry, I wasn't feeling well."

"Right," Maxine said, doubt in her voice. "The text woke me," she paused. "You left an hour after we fell asleep. You didn't even sleep with me after." She pulled her knees up to her chest, still naked under the thin sheet, obviously insecure. She looked small, but beautiful as her bangs fell out from behind her ear.

I felt sick again, but this time it was a pang in my chest. She doesn't believe me.

"Max, I love you, you know I do. And last night was amazing. I don't know why I got sick, but it's nothing you did."

Maxine looked down, hiding her face. "Sure, Felix," she said, still unconvinced.

I felt weird asking for Bloom's doctor's number, but I couldn't shake the feeling that the sickness was because of Maxine and me. I asked Emmett, mistake one. He gave me a hard time, saying that "If you have questions about the baby you can just ask" and then switching to it being about Maxine. "You're a smart and responsible guy and I trust you, but every once in a while one of those little guys slip through and—"

I cut him off. "Emmett, please just give me her number."

Emmett jotted it down on a piece of paper. "Doctor Lewis."

"Thanks."

I explained what happened. "I woke up an hour later throwing up," I finished my explanation with. "Did I get sick because of us?"

Dr. Lewis sighed, and I already knew the answer. "Something in human DNA, and in werewolf DNA, makes it so that when the two are so closely combined in such a way that there are side effects, like you getting so sick. The more and more that you two get that close, and the longer it goes on the more severe the effect. Has she said anything about anything unusual happening?"

"No, we haven't really talked." I paused. "Does this mean that we can't ever be a couple like that again?"

"No, you can, just be prepared for the side effects, and know that each time will be worse than the last. It could lead to death for one, if not both, of you."

This was not what I wanted to hear.

"I'm sorry, Felix."

I hung up.

I called Maxine, but she was avoiding me.

So I left this voicemail:

"Max, I've got something to tell you and I'd rather not do it over the phone. Please call me back or text me or something. We need to talk. Max, I love you and I... I had fun the other night. And I need to see you again. Please."

I waited a few days for a call back.

And got one.