XXXII

Maxine

Emmett went downstairs to his room. Bloom took Wane to his room, surrendering for the night. Caven sat on the couch, anxiously looking at the door, as if Ronnie would walk through any minute. Any second.

Felix stood, shocked, staring straight ahead at the wall. There was a little dent in the dry wall where the edge of the frame hit. Glass was still sitting on the ground, broken.

"Felix, sit down." I put my arms carefully onto Felix's, almost as if I made too sudden of a move he'd flip out.

Felix sat down, his eyes still frozen.

I sighed and went to the laundry room, hoping to find a broom and dust pan. I did, and I went to the broken glass and pulled out the picture, setting it on the TV stand. I swept up the glass and tossed it in the trash.

I leaned the broom against the wall and took the photo. I sat down on the loveseat beside Felix. I looked at the photo.

It was Bloom and Emmett and Felix and Caven and Ronnie, all smiling in the summer sun. It was taken a few years ago, all of them looking a little younger. Caven was smiling wide and Ronnie was smiling just a little, but enough. Felix had an arm around Caven's neck, playful. Emmett had his hand wrapped around Bloom's waist, and Bloom had her hand on Ronnie's shoulder. They looked like a family. They looked happy.

I looked at Felix. His eyes were closed, and his chest was puffed, holding in a breath.

I sighed. "Caven, go to your room."

Caven shook his head. "Can't. I have to pass hers to get to mine."

"Caven, come on, I need to talk to Felix. Alone."

From the corner of my eye, I saw Bloom come down the hallway. She went to the top of the stairs and stopped, hesitated, then went to the front door, locking the locks. She looked to the ground and went downstairs.

"Go, Caven, please."

Caven took a deep breath and stood up, dragging his feet to his room.

I looked at Felix, sitting on the coffee table right in front of him. I put my hands on my knees, looking down at them; they were shaky. I tucked a piece of hair behind my ear.

"Fe?"

He didn't say anything, didn't even open his eyes.

"Felix?"

Still. No change.

I sighed. "Felix please!"

He opened his eyes, slowly looking down at me—no, towards me.

"This isn't you. That wasn't Ronnie. She'll come back, Fe, she will."

Felix's chest swelled, then he let out his breath.

"Come on, let's go to bed." I took his hand and squeezed. "Come on,"

Felix stood up and walked to his room, not once looking back. Stood and walked like a robot with a simple command. Go To Bed.

I stood up and walked through his door. He was sitting on the bed, a blank stare. I walked over to him and pushed him gently down so his head was resting on the pillow. I kissed his cheek and said goodnight.

As I left his room, I turned off the light.

As I left his house, I felt helpless.

As I came home, I felt watched.