XXVII

Maxine

It's my turn to show Felix something.

I pulled on my shoes and Felix's jacket and jogged downstairs. I was three feet away from the door when I heard her voice.

"You know, it's funny."

I let out a breath and stopped dead in my tracks. I froze.

"Your mother sent you here so I could get to know you. But really, I think Felix has gotten to know more of you than I have."

I sighed. "I know, it's just... I don't know. I really like him, Julie. And we only have a few months to hang out. I can hang out with you anytime."

Julie smiled. "You like him. He's likes you. I'm glad."

I looked to the door anxiously. Felix would be waiting by the woods for me.

"Go! See him. I used to be young and in love like you two are."

"I'm not in love with him!"

"Honey, go."

I smiled and hugged Julie and ran out the door.

"I am so sorry I took so long. Julie started to make me feel guilty and..." I let out a breath. "Pft."

"You wanted to show me something?"

I nodded. "Yeah. Come on." I stepped into the woods, dragging Felix behind me.

"So what's new with you?" I asked as we made our way through the trees.

"Uhm... Bloom and Emmett have baby fever. Caven is very lonely, if you know what I mean. And Ronnie is antisocial as always."

"Baby fever?"

"They want to have a kid. And I am thankful I sleep in the garage and not right over them." Felix laughed. "I think it's cute, just... the house doesn't have room for one more person. There's only one room in the basement. I'm in the garage. Caven and Ronnie cannot share a room. And no one is offering to move in with Wane. Not only is there not much room for a baby, but we'll all lose sleep."

I tucked a piece of hair behind my ear. "What do you think they'll do?"

"Well, they don't want to move out because of Wane. And they won't just kick Ronnie and Caven and me out. And they won't move us to another house because Ronnie is the only adult. And even then she's not even ready to head a house."

I nodded and unzipped Felix's jacket. I tied it around my waist. "I think the clearing is up here," I took Felix's hand and pulled him to the right.

We stepped through the trees to the clearing I had come to days before. Felix stopped walking and I took a few steps in front of him. I turned around, the house behind my back. Felix's expression was unreadable. It was a mix of surprise and terror. With a hint of recognition.

"Fe?"

"When'd you find this?"

I shrugged. "A few days after I came here. Come on. It's even weirder inside."