LXII

Felix

We hadn't been to the pool in a while, and I decided to drag Maxine there. We all needed to relax, and I felt like how we left things yesterday wasn't right.

"You still don't swim, do you?" I asked her.

She nodded.

"Well, we'll see about that."

I said hello and talked a bit to the lifeguards around the pool. Maxine broke off, bored of the conversation, and sat down her things on a chair. She took off her t-shirt, revealing a bright yellow top. One of the guys whistled, long and low.

"Damn, Felix, I'd hit that."

I started to walk towards Maxine, calling over my shoulder, "Eyes off, guys, she's taken." I put my arm around her shoulders. "Do you trust me?"

Maxine looked at me, her eyes wide in fear. Fear and something else. Something more. "Fe, you know I do, but..."

I looked her in the eyes. "Just trust me." I took off my shirt and unbuttoned Maxine's jean shorts. I heard more subtle whistles from my lifeguard friends but ignored them. Maxine stepped out of her shorts and I took her hand.

We went to the deep end of the pool, the end where most people weren't. I slid in, and from under the water saw Maxine's distorted image, arms crossed over her chest, a worried look on her face, legs close together.

When I popped back up, I held my arms open for her. "Trust me." I said.

She took a deep breath and jumped.

Under the water I watched as she hysterically flailed about. I swam over to her and grabbed her, holding as tight as I could until she calmed down. When we resurfaced, she gasped for air and clutched onto me. She was shaking and breathing heavily.

"Please don't ever make me do that again," she whispered.

"Never." I carried her back to where we could stand. The water was up to my ribs, and up to the bottom of Maxine's swimsuit.

I showed her the basic motion of doggy paddling. Then I made her swim to me. As she got closer, I moved further so she had to swim more. She yelled at me when I finally stopped moving and let her reach me. We did that a few times then stopped for snacks.

After that I made her float and wade. And then swim more. She grew more comfortable in the water until I suggested to practice breathing better under water, instead of just holding your breath.

"No." She shook her head and crossed her arms. "I don't want to."

"Come on, it makes swimming so much easier."

"No."

I sighed. "Fine. I won't push you too far today. But you are not going back to Chicago until you learn."

She laughed. "I guess I'm not going back."

I smiled. "I guess I'll be okay with that. Come on," I took her hand and we left the pool.

"So Emmett and Bloom are going to Garden City to shop for baby stuff, and they're taking Wane. Wanna come over?" I asked Maxine over the phone.

I could imagine Maxine smiling, sitting outside, maybe, on the porch swing that I know she loves. "Sure. I'd love to. I'll be over in a bit."

"Okay." I thought about saying it, right then. Telling her I love her. But something stopped me. Maybe the timing wasn't right and deep down I knew it. "I'll see you soon." I hung up, tossing my phone on the seat beside me. I sighed, then smiled.