XLV

Maxine

I pulled the gauze off of my arm. The scratch was healing decently fast. It was in that phase between bleeding and scabbing. I rewrapped my arm, ditching the gauze. I pulled on my jacket and walked downstairs. The news was on, and Julie was sitting on the couch, a hand over her mouth.

I looked at the screen. There was a picture of a little girl, blonde hair, bright smile, on the screen. There was a man—the anchor—speaking in the background:

"At ten o'clock last night, ten year-old, Kristina Summers was found dead just a few yards into the forest on the southeast side of town. Police suspect it was an animal attack, but internal injuries suggest there was rape. We warn that the next picture is graphic, and may be intense for some audiences."

Julie looked away. "I can't."

What animal could've done that? Destroyed her small body in that way?

"For any information please contact us, or an officer." A pause. "And now on to the weather. Al?"

"Breaks my heart that some wild animal would just attack a little girl like that." Julie switched the TV to a cooking show.

I pulled on my sneakers and grabbed the car keys.

I drove to the diner where Felix was supposed to work today. When I walked through the doors, Felix walked out of the kitchen. I went up to him, pointing to the TV screen. The news story was playing again. "Please tell me that wasn't you guys. Please, please, please Fe,"

Felix wrapped his arms around me as I started to cry.

"Nonono, it wasn't us. We don't hurt others."

I let out a shaky breath. "You swear?"

"I swear."

"If it wasn't you," I pulled away from Felix and wiped my eyes, "then who was it?"

Someone called for Felix to get back to work.

"Let me talk to you after work, okay?"

I nodded. "Can I wait here?"

Felix smiled. "Go sit down at a table and I'll have someone serve you." I started to walk away, and Felix grabbed my sleeve, pulled it up, and looked at the scratch. "It's healing."

"I know." I pushed my sleeve back down and sat down at a booth.