XXIX

Maxine

I stood behind Felix, him my shield. He let out a deep growl.

"Emerson."

I felt my stomach drop. This wasn't good. I didn't know the whole story with this Emerson but I knew whatever it was, it wasn't good.

The wolf walked, shifting back to human. Emerson laughed, deep and hearty. "Brother!" His voice was deep and bellowing, the type that could shake trees given the chance.

Felix put a hand protectively around me, pulling me closer to him. "I'm not your brother. I'm not anyone's brother."

Emerson looked hurt. "Now what would Greyson say about that? He's your brother."

"What are you doing here?"

Emerson crossed his huge buff arms. "I should ask you the same. You left the pack, brother, and now you're in our territory? Tsk, tsk."

Felix gritted his teeth.

Emerson peered around Felix, and I tried to shrink up into nothingness. He laughed. "Now who's this?" In one motion, Emerson cleared the space between us and pulled me away from Felix. He had one hand clamped over my wrists. "Oh. This is she." Emerson sniffed my neck. "That's what we smelled on you at the bonfire."

He let go of my wrist and pushed me away.

"Smells like city. And not the good city smell either. Like sewage and rats."

Felix grabbed my wrist and pulled me behind his back.

"Listen, I don't want any trouble. Just let us go. I don't have to tell Emmett and you don't have to tell Greyson or anyone. Deal?"

Emerson narrowed his eyes at Felix, almost predatorily. "Sure, Felix. But don't you dare come back around here any time ever again? Yeah? You and your bitch."

I wanted to punch him. I really did. I almost stormed towards Emerson and swung. Felix tightened his grip on me once I tensed and pulled me closer.

"We won't come back. No need to tell anyone."

Emerson smirked.

"Go."

Felix started to walk, keeping his eyes on Emerson and himself between Emerson and me. Once Emerson was inside the house and Felix and I were out of the clearing, he relaxed.

"You know him?" I asked, although I already knew the answer.

"Let's just get you home."

I nodded and followed Felix silently.

I sat on the front porch, in the porch swing, with Julie. The sun was setting, and we were listening to the wolves howl.

"I used to do this with your mother when she was a kid."

I looked up at Julie. "It's hard to imagine my mother as a kid." I thought about it for a second. "Was she always so impulsive?"

Julie looked at me. "What do you mean?"

I sighed. "Julie, I was born from one of her impulsive decisions. Mom wasn't even married to my father, only dating for a little bit. Then I came along and he left. I have no idea what she's doing right now but I can take a pretty good guess."

Julie went quite. "Sometimes I wonder if I did something wrong."

I looked down at my hands. "You didn't do anything wrong. Society did her wrong."

"Tell me about Felix. What makes you like him so much?"

I smiled and took a deep breath. "He's Felix. That's all. He's just... funny. And... he's refreshing. After such a crappy year, someone like Felix is refreshing."

Julie smiled. "I miss my husband."

"I miss the city."

"I miss being young."

"I miss being happy."

"I miss your mother."

"I don't."

Shifted #Wattys2016On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara