XVIII

Felix

I know, it sounds really creepy. But it's not.

I saw her walk up to Julie's house that first day and I knew. It's such a strange and wonderful feeling. Imprinting.

It's kind of like a high. Like finally getting the last piece in the puzzle. Like all you want for the rest of your life is them.

I heard her name from Julie. Max. Maxine.

Max.

So since that first night, I'll watch the house, just to make sure she's sleeping safely. And then I saw her in the woods, and I felt so comfortable around her. I nearly forgot I was wolfed. She looked so uncomfortable and stiff. Then I saw the camera.

Emmett was calling my name and I had to leave. I didn't want to.

I felt horrible when I had Caven push her into the pool. I was right there to save her, but still. It was ridiculous. She could've died, no thanks to the lifeguards.

They were so helpful.

Soon after I noticed her watching the woods. Was she looking for me in particular? Or just anyone?

How could I tell? I had to hide behind the trees, terrified that she'd see me and decide to venture into the forest at night and on her own. Especially with all the trouble Greyson has been causing.

I knew that I really had imprinted her during the bonfire night, and I'm pretty sure everyone else knew. Even Ronnie.

Ronnie.

She imprinted on me and I didn't back. That wasn't my fault. It's not like I can control that animal instinct. She tenses up every time I mention Maxine.

She scared Maxine so much in the woods that night.

I don't want to hide this from her, but I really don't want her to know.

What do I say?

She shook her head.

"Come on," I pleaded, taking her hand in mine. "You're not crazy, I swear. I am what you think I am but I just need to be sure. Just say it."

She swallowed and looked down.

"...wolf..."

She only muttered the first part, but I was sure she said it.

She cleared her throat and repeated. "Werewolf."

I smiled. "Yeah."

She looked frightened and pulled her hands out of mine, backing up to the corner of the room. I held my hands in the air in surrender. "Max I'm not going to hurt you. I can control when I shift. I can control what happens when I'm wolfed. You have nothing to be scared of."

Except for Greyson.

But she didn't need to hear that at the moment.

"Max?"

She shook her head and ran up the stairs.