Chapter Forty-Six: What Are You Hiding From Me?

Thanks for 7K votes!

Have you ever done something so stupid that you immediately regret it and you would do anything to undo it? Like, why do you even do it in the first place if you knew it was going to be a bad idea? I hope I don't get into trouble, because I think it's too late to change what I just did. I should probably confess to her what I did.

~~~

Author's POV:

Silence filled the empty room. It was probably because Natsu and Lucy were the only ones there. Makarov gave them some sort of excuse from their classes to go to the tutoring center. However, there wasn't a lot of productivity going on. They were still pretty mad at each other.

Lucy kept flipping the pages, while Natsu was looking at his homework. He was, indeed, struggling, but he didn't have the guts to tell Lucy about it. After all, she didn't look like she wanted to talk to him.

It wasn't entirely true. Lucy took a quick glimpse on how Natsu was doing. Seeing him do nothing made her irritated. She really wanted to help him and it was her job to, yet she couldn't, because they weren't talking to each other.

After minutes passed, Lucy had enough. She closed her book, which startled Natsu, and focused her attention on the homework. As she scanned the problems, they weren't at all hard. That wasn't what shocked her, though. It was the questions that he answered. They were all wrong.

"Okay, let's do number six. If f=x(5) and you know that f=120, what is x?" Lucy asked, writing the problem down. Natsu scratched his head, thinking he could do the whole problem mentally. Unfortunately for him, he wasn't exactly good at it.

"Uh...45?" Lucy slammed the book against Natsu's head, clearly knowing that he wasn't even trying. Natsu rubbed his head and laughed softly. He kind of had that coming.

"Seriously? 45? You can do better than that." Lucy clicked her pen and wrote an equation down for Natsu to solve. Natsu viewed it and was confused as to how it relates to the question he was stuck on.

"This has nothing to do with the problem," Natsu pointed out. Lucy didn't respond as she was too busy writing the equation. Once done, she gave the pen to Natsu and had him solve it.

"It's a very simple equation. All you have to do is find out the answer to 120 divided by 5." Natsu was confused. The equation was relatively easy. Shrugging his shoulders, he wrote the answer down, which was 24 and handed the pen back to Lucy. She had a satisfied smile on her lips and pointed to the question he was stuck on.

"f=x(5) and you know f=120. The variable x is the unknown number you were supposed to solve. So, what number multiplied by 5 would give you 120?"

"24... Oh! That's why you wanted me to divide 120 by 5. It was so that I could solve for x." Lucy nodded, proud of Natsu for getting the question correct.

They moved on to the next question and when that was done, they moved on again. The atmosphere wasn't so awkward anymore, as the two of them kept talking and working out the questions together. There was a time when Natsu answered a question without the assistance of Lucy and the both of them cheered, even though it wasn't something big they should celebrate. However, it was major to both Lucy and Natsu. It meant that Natsu was improving.

They finished the homework, but they weren't done talking. It felt like forever, since the both of them talked and they really missed it. Lucy loved how Natsu could go on and on about a topic and never run out of anything to say. Natsu loved Lucy's reactions and responses to everything he had to say. He found it to be quite enjoyable.